Beta Weekend Number 1

GW2 discussion that doesn't quite fit elsewhere

Beta Weekend Number 1

Postby Rhayader » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm

From the Facebook page:

Guild Wars 2
Good news!First Beta Weekend Event will be from April 27-29. We will let you know once the client is ready for download.

We'll have a blog post with details about what and when you can play later today or tomorrow. If you haven't already: pre-purchase to participate!

damn it! i have a magic the gathering tourney on the 28th!
what to doooooo

cant wait for it though!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Beraton » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm refreshing my emails every 20 minutes or so waiting for the one that links to the client download. We'll have to enjoy the beta on your behalf, Rhay! ;)
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 am

I haven't had my client download email yet either - but be patient, there's still plenty of time to go - it looks like it starts 8pm our time Friday.

A more important discussion to have right now is: which world do we play on?

Those of us outside the EU (i.e. Erendis) will still be able to choose an EU server, although I'm a little worried how much impact this is liable to have on their game/connection. Still, a beta weekend might be a good opportunity to test this, given that we get 2000 gems for the weekend that can be used to transfer worlds if problems arise.

Here is the list of EU servers:

Kodonur
Gandara
Kodash
Blacktide
Istan
Vabbi
Kourna
Fissure of Woe
Underworld
Ring of Fire
Far Shiverpeaks
Petrified Forest
Jade Sea
Desolation
Magus Falls
Whiteside Ridge
Fort Ranik
Ruins of Surmia
Sharp’s Corner
Aurora Glade
Riverside
Elona Reach
Augury Rock
Abaddon’s Mouth

Any preferences? I'm a fan of Ascalon ones, such as Ruins of Surmia or Fort Ranik.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I have to vote for Fissure of Woe. Also, Jade Sea.

But I'm good with Fort Ranik too.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Varda » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I won't be playing this beta weekend, sadly. :( So just pick a server, I'll join you lot for the next one!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to join either given my computer's developed a thing for turning itself off. Ordered a new one at the weekend so hopefully I'll be able to join the next beta weekends. So just pick a server and I'll join if possible, Fort Ranik sounds good and has been mentioned a few times.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Nox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I like any of the following:

Blacktide
Jade Sea
Aurora Glade

That said however, i'm easy with whatever - it's only a server :)

Also, christ I wish I could change my username without creating a new login ;_;
Nox
Razor sharp wit

Postby Beraton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Fort Ranik sounds good to me. I think I'd marginally prefer Aurora Glade, but sure, Ranik is good too!
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Rhayader » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm

i like fissure of woe and from the options people previously mentioned.
telling people i play at the FoW server just makes it sound cool and hardcore xD

even though i like aurora glade as a server name, i wasnt fond of the mission, so it brings back less than happy memories, though i wouldnt mind it.
as far as server names go,i also like Blacktide and Desolation.

thinking about our guild hall, i think it has been located in ascalon for the most time, right? so an ascalonian name would be appropriate. if so, fort ranik would also be my pick, though im not very fond of the name.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 am

Opinion seems to be rather evenly divided, with about equal votes for Jade Sea, Aurora Glade and Fissure of Woe. And Fort Ranik.

Fissure of Woe might be good if we want a busy, populous server, because it IS going to be a popular choice :) Would people generally prefer a busy server with lots of randoms so they can participate in large events, or a less busy one so they can enjoy their personal story in peace?

Anya tells me that a lot of Portuguese folks are heading for the Jade Sea server and that we therefore "might want to avoid it" - heh!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Nox » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 am

That's a tough question : ( Somewhere in the middle would be ideal - but obviously we don't know what the servers are like so I don't really know what to suggest really. If worse comes to worse we can change servers - but i doubt there will really be a need to.
Nox
Razor sharp wit

Postby Infinity » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm pretty sure every server is going to be well populated on release, and there's no way of knowing how the numbers are going to pan out in the future.

I don't know how the dynamic events system works but I would have thought having loads of randoms running around means quests get done and things change without your knowledge, which might not be great. But I don't know, we'll have to see what happens in these betas.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Here's a list of where various groups are going:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comm ... ities_for/

A less busy server would be nice.
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Rhayader » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I hope we can get in on an english server plz.
based on klok's link, Desolation would be a choice.

The link got me scared that if we pick FoW we end up being overrun with italian players.

i dont mind popular servers. it beats being alone with noone to play with. anything but an empty foreign language speaking server...
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Nox » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Desolation looks good to me.
Nox
Razor sharp wit

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Desolation is looking good indeed.
Klokwurk

Postby Rhayader » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:47 pm

anyway, this choice will only take effect during the beta weekend, so maybe we can settle for any of those?

i mean, even if a couple of italian guilds end up on FoW that doesnt mean that the whole server is gonna be populated by italians, right? right?? right???
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm

created a poll on the facebook page.

picked FoW with desolation as a close second. i just hope there arent too many italians.

if things go wrong we can just pick another server when the game goes live
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Bear in mind that FoW is Something Awful's pick. They generally tend to make life hell for all non-SAers on their server in games.
Klokwurk

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks Klok, I hadn't thought to check that! I'm an SA'er myself but I have far more loyalty to my House Behelit friends.

Ladies and gents, our server choice for the weekend is the wonderfully exciting-sounding DESOLATION!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Cross posting from the Facebook group:

Remember, guys, we have an IRC channel if you want to coordinate stuff. #behelit on Quakenet.

For those of you who don't have an IRC client installed, Quakenet now has a web client you can bookmark: http://webchat.quakenet.org/
Mori
Organisational god

Re: Beta Weekend Number 1

Postby Sixxor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:55 am

Rhayader wrote:damn it! i have a magic the gathering tourney on the 28th!
what to doooooo

Avacyn Restored Pre-Release? I really wanted to go to our local one too, but I'm stuck at work all weekend to I'm missing that AND the GW2 beta weekend.

Gods dammit!

As for what server we end up on at launch, I really don't care. It's just a name to click on to get into the game!
That being said though, I would prefer one on the quieter side personally. :P
"People are bastard coated bastards, with bastard filling."
Sixxor
Filthy drow

Postby Rhayader » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 am

yeah, it was the pre-release event. ended up with a horrible pool and dropped after 2 games so that i could come home and play gw2 XD

guess i didnt care too much about it after all...
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:08 pm

well, its gone now :(

lets share some of our impressions!
did you try all 3 races? what did you like the most? which profession did you find most interesting? etc!

i mostly tried the mesmer, and although it seemed pretty cool, i dont know if its my favourite one.
mesmers seem to be really good at adapting to different situations and they juggle a lot of stuff at the same time, from the regular damage, to your illusions, to positioning, etc. i was also very surprised to see them handling conditions. i could generate random boons and conditions and share them with other allies and foes respectively.
biggest thing that bothers me is that for all the juggling i dont see it taking a big part in the battles. illusion shattering (which has a very delicate range, the illusions need to shatter right next to the target) doesnt do much damage and the conditions arent enough to change the course of a battle.
when compared to bera's lightning hammer i didnt feel like i was influencing the battle as much as i wanted, so im kinda bothered by that.

when compared to the other races, the human story seemed boring! (mine at least, i picked the common folk story, the circus one seemed better)

i also tried the engineer, which was kinda squishy (more than the mesmer) even though he wore medium armor. it was a lot of fun switching between various skill sets according to the situation.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Nox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I went on a little rampage to be honest. Started with a Mesmer - loved it once I got to grips with it, but was solo'ing most of the game so it got a little difficult at times, especially at the lower levels when you don't have the teleport skill yet. Once you get that then things go a lot smoother. I agree with all your points too Rhay, i mostly used my illusions as a distraction device so I could recharge skills before unloading again.

Tried Thief after that and loved it, shortbows are great for kiting and when you hit 7 and can change weapons - they have some pretty great melee skills too. Shadow step is glorious, nothing better than seeing a hoard of enemies charging at you, shadow stepping infront of the group, planting a trap - then returning to your initial position at the back and unloading exploding arrows...glorious. Also no recharge on skills! Instead you have 'initiative' which is similar to a mana pool which recharges over time.

Warriors were great - played until I hit level 5 so I could see the skills then called it a night as it was the end of the beta - but they were brilliant to play as, nothing like I expected to be honest. They're not tanks, but they are great damage dealers with a little 'extra protection' (i was getting pretty mashed at times).

Elementalists are great fun, the staff skills are great but sadly another class I didn't really play enough of.

I tried out all the races available and I can't decide if I prefer the Charr or the Norn, the Charr are great but their story wasn't really something I was looking for - the story is great, don't get me wrong, but I just preferred being able to pick "drank too much, got in a fight, blacked out, sure it's nothing to worry about" over everything haha. Charr home world is beautiful though, also Charr kids are adorable. Human story line was sort of generic...the circus one was kind of fun, if a little 'out-there'.

I look forward to the other races! Each world was amazingly different, i'm excited about the release : D
Nox
Razor sharp wit

Postby Erendis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I had a lot of fun over the weekend, mostly while I ran with Nox, Mori, Rhay and Daltana. We joined random events and did bits of personal quests, and while being with known people is great, there was also a good sense of teamplay when people rushed toward events or came across the map just to res you.

I mostly played a human thief concerned with finding her lost sister, a charr necro trying to rebuild her warband and a norn guardian that liked ale and fighting a bit too much. Out of the three races/chars, I had the most fun with the Charr. Their starter area being in Ascalon made it all the sweeter for me, too.

I stayed up for the event at the end of the beta last night, but it wasn't very epic. A few very tough bosses popped up on the norn areas and there was a counter ticking up for 'Norn glory', going up whenever you killed something. There was also a timer, but nothing really happened when it got to 00:00, so I'm not sure what was up there. Most people gathered up to roam and zerg down bosses, which included a truly tough Legendary White Bunny and a lot of Bloodthirsty Black Moas.

I randomly decided to use the free gems to buy packs of minis and random costumes. Didn't much like the costumes (pirates and circus ringmaster o_o), but the minis were cute, as usual. I got two different centaurs and... a spider.

I put some screenshots up on facebook, but then I noticed there was a LOT of them and not everyone has a fb account (shocking, I know), so they're all here now:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/58426551/1//GW2?h=28820a&
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Nox must have played an absurd number of hours as he got to a higher level than me on his main AND tried out all the different races and classes! I stuck to my plan and played a human Guardian for the whole event, eventually getting to level 16 and completing all the personal story that was available in the beta.

It wasn't the greatest story ever known especially to begin with, and ran into Guild Wars' usual failing of flat characters and terrible voice acting. I think they're too busy giving other races distinctive personalities to bother fleshing out the important humans much.

Regardless of that I really enjoyed myself throughout the weekend. Loved the events system - found myself slightly flummoxed when talking to random people and having them say something that sounded like the start of a side quest, only to realise that there ARE no side quests and it was pure flavour. It was quite liberating and I hope they make the most of it by really fleshing out the world with plenty of characters who have interesting stuff to say.

Was slightly puzzled by the crafting system - I think I like it, and I managed to make one or two cool things, but my inventory was chock full of random stuff I'd mined/harvested/felled for most of the weekend, which made inventory management a pain - I opened a bank account but then I didn't put anything in there in case I needed it!

I did notice after you collect enough influence you can build upgrades that will give you guild storage, which is upgradable to get more slots. I think that's where our earned influence is going to be mainly headed after release :) It takes quite a lot of influence though. Five of us playing more or less solidly managed to earn around 1100 in the weekend, and 500 buys 1 rank of architecture, after which the prices increase. You need rank 3+ before you can even think about spending the thousands of influence it takes to build guild storage. So, I shall expect you all to be farming like mad as soon as the game is out :D
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Mori wrote:It wasn't the greatest story ever known especially to begin with, and ran into Guild Wars' usual failing of flat characters and terrible voice acting. I think they're too busy giving other races distinctive personalities to bother fleshing out the important humans much.

Agreed. I won't deny that having a background/character story is pretty great, since most MMOs don't even bother, but it also felt like they tried to make the game something that it can't possibly be. Having a voiced PC and personal quests at this point, the comparison to stuff like SWTOR is inevitable (like most people at the GW2 forums have been pointing out), and it obviously falls short.

As a human commoner thief I kept wondering what my char's motivations were for being SO unfailingly noble and nice and a paragon of virtue. There's very little in the way of choosing what to say/how to say it (charm, ferocity and dignity responses did not seem to have too different results).

I really didn't want to go poking holes into this because it's obvious that storytelling here needs to be secondary to the mechanics of the game, but the minute you stop to think about it all the old problems come up. Flat stories and flat characters were all over GW1, so maybe I've been too immersed into higher-style RPGs and now I can't stop finding this jarring.

That said, the Charr storyline felt a lot more personal and I was fairly interested in what was going on with the Legions, my warband and the random npcs that were involved. I stopped early and switched to a Norn, to be non-spoiled for the charr on release.
(That was also a mistake, the Norn plotline was the dullest of all three, and while my lady guardian was voiced by B5's Ivanova, I kept cringing whenever there was a cutscene.)

tl;dr Fun playstyle, can't wait to have the full game and a full guild / will have to ignore dull dialogue choices and basic plotlines. Nothing new!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Rhayader » Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm

i also picked the human commoner storyline, and even though it wasnt super interesting there were some good points, like when you have to choose between saving an orfanage or a hospital.
maybe these choices will matter more in the long run, and maybe the story just seem more boring at the start since they might just be taking it slow and introducing you to all the characters.

i think we can all agree that the charr stories are a lot better then. i played the part of an engineer in the iron legion that develops a ghosthunting rifle to solve the problems of the ascalonian ghosts XD
it was lots of fun, specially because in the story missions they make you handle said riffle and other weapons that use the same technology that you dont get to use outside, and then the other legions start bickering about who should have the tech... i just loved it!

and yes, being back to ascalon just pulls my strings. and when the charrs make fun of the ascalonians i still get that old "must kill all charrs" feeling.
Rhayader
The silent type

Return to Guild Hall