HouseBehelit.com V2.0

GW2 discussion that doesn't quite fit elsewhere

HouseBehelit.com V2.0

Postby Beraton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Ok, I realise it only ever really hit V0.8 or so before. But gods, there are things I'd generally rather do than code.

That said, I feel an update to more of a GW2 style is in order. I'm already part way through it. The semi-published version is at http://www.housebehelit.com/beta . I'll be updating that until it's in a state to replace the current home page with it

I intend the site to be different to how it is now. Primarily, it will be far more "web2.0". Meaning that once I have it in place, I won't have to actually make content; you lot will! :p

Thus far, the planned features are as follows:

As now, a roster of sorts, which people can update a profile of sorts
A similar thing for characters. Background, motivations, race/profession
Personal objectives (reach level x, obtain y level of the slay z achievement, etc) - I'm torn whether this should be character-based or member-based. Input would be appreciated!
An easy way to clear these if you log in and realise it's out of date.
A feed down the side of the various pages that shows the latest updates people have made.
Images made from uploaded files. like one for each member (perhaps simply pulling it straight from the forum avatar?) as well as images for each character.

Other things to consider! I will probably also upgrade the forums to the latest version. It is entirely possible that the upgrade from PHPBB 2.0x to 3.0x will fail and old data will be lost. So if there's anything on the forum that you have to have, you may want to grab it before the change. I'll give plenty of warning before the update, but keep it in mind!

Anyway, let me know what you think. Things you like. Things you hate. Features you'd like added - I can't guarantee I'll actually include it, but all suggestions welcome!
Last edited by Beraton on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Muppet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Request 1 - remove full stop from url link, beta. does not exists :roll:

Some thoughts no consideration for capability and space....

I think the objectives/achievements only need to be player based, so matters not if they are split across many chars. Some detail of the chars would be nice too though.

Look at the kind of stuff we stuck in our wiki pages, and perhaps a simplified template to alllow summary of characters and achievements like that.

Image gallery might be nice, if your bandwidth allows. I am thinking like the wiki one I made but where we can all upload, or even just thumbnail links to hosting sites like we can on forum.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Just make it look good pretty and i'll be happy :)

A photo gallery would be awesome though
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Beraton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Well, request 1 was easy enough. Darn auto-parsing for urls isn't smart enough!

Ok, yeah. that could work. Make the objectives character based with the option to show it for a particular character.

A photo gallery is certainly a good idea worth thinking about. The trick would be autogenerating thumbnails (unless it's just an external link). Which way would you prefer? Image gallery for each member or one for the guild with the images tagged as "uploaded by..."? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Muppet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

I agree it would be nice to have a central gallery, though perhaps the ability to add catagories or group them some way would avoid it becomming one massive page of thumbnails listed in the order they went up.
Muppet

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, having participated in the beta weekend we should now have a better idea of what content would be appropriate!

For example, I'm not sure what sort of thing would fit into the "goals" section for individual characters, as all you really have is your personal story (and achievements, of course). On t'other hand it would be nice to be able to list your background choices for your character - both to find compatible characters to share personal stories with, and simply out of interest.

I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with guilds in GW2. Apparently we can conquer a keep in the Mists, but whether we would then get to "keep" that (har har) without having to fight off other players constantly I'm not sure.. and some of the purchasable upgrades in the beta weekend seemed a little weak - x small bonus for 24 hours, and so forth.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Beraton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Raaarrgghh

Galvanized by the recent announcement of the release date, I have been working on HouseBehelit.com 2.0 some more. I now have much of the functionality set up, but the layout and individual options are still heavily in flux. If you wish to have a prod about, it is at: http://www.housebehelit.com/beta/ . The only function not set up is the question set for races. When creating a character, you can only select the race and profession. The other questions will be there too, but not yet. That's the next bit I'm on. I haven't set any personal objectives as Mori makes a reasonable point after the beta experience.

There is a gallery. You can't upload an image bigger than about 0.6MB. If you manage it, you have broken something. (note: highly possible that things are heavily broken!). The intention is that the gallery is only for screenshots. The user icon should tie in to the avatar on the forum, which (when I get there) will be user-selectable, unlike how it always used to be. ;)

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, let me know. If you manage to break anything, let me know (I promise not to :thwak:). And please, if you come up with a good colour for the background panel to the content text, please let me know. that peach is just a placeholder, and I'm sick and tired of looking at it! :p
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Mori » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:57 am

Looking good so far! I managed to update my profile and quote, so it's not utterly broken. However I tried to create a character and it failed and logged me out :( Is that because I put something in the description field when you said that field won't work?
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Beraton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Hmmm. I don't think it's the character create is broken, and you'd have to be pretty creative to break it with characters. I've managed to submit some. I think it's the session timeout that's too short. Now... I just need to figure out how to correct that. :S

Upcoming feature after that: drop down menus for the various racial questions that update depending on which race you pick!
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Beraton » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm

House Behelit #2 is live! Please let me know if you break it or if you think something could be added (other categories of screenshot or the like). I'll get right on it. Provided I've got the time. And I'm not playing GW2 in the beta weekend. :p Of course, the next phase is rolling out an update to the forum. The newer releases of PHPBB have better anti-spambot protection, it seems. I might even be able to put in some sort of GW-related question as a filter to new users being created!

At any rate, as advised before, if you desperately want to keep something saved from the forum, please grab it before next weekend. The intention is that all data will migrate to the new version. If something disastrous happens, I'll try to roll back. But I made several modifications for these forums all that time ago, so who knows if it'll work or not! In fact, I'll go distribute a mass email to the memberlist.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Rhayader » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm

oh man, the site looks great. specially the gallery!

i'll upload a few photos to try it out.
cant wait to fill up my characters page once the game goes live :D

edit: i broke something. pressed upload before selecting the file. it got uploaded with the caption i wrote but with a broken link.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Why am I not allowed to see most of the pictures ;(
I just get the little red x and the text in a white box on all but one of the gallery, and the guild cape, and some other places.
Muppet

Postby Beraton » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Hmmm. Well broken, Rhay! I'll put the mysql script inside the if (uploaded) clause. Thanks! :D

Muppet, try ctrl-F5 to do a full refresh. The images *are* there. (Well, apart from Rhay's picture, and I'll fix that now)

Hmmm. And there's something in the gallery view that's wrong, as it's not being too selective. Everything appears in everything. O_o. Continue to post them. They're being saved and tagged correctly. It's just the output script that's kaput.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Beraton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Site update: Rhay's find on the broken gallery upload is fixed. Plus the gallery is actually showing just the selected type! There are also some back-end things to improve the tie together between the forums and the rest of the site.

Muppet, did you manage to see the pictures?

Also, remember that this weekend, the forum upgrade is going ahead. This will be tomorrow. The morning if I have time or the afternoon if I don't. The URL will change slightly, but I'll set up a forward, so that won't matter. Finally, while I am in the process of making the upgrade, the forums will be inaccessible. This should be for a couple of hours. If everything goes belly up, it should still be possible to return to this version of the forum.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Re: HouseBehelit.com V2.0

Postby Beraton » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:52 am

And new update! If you're here, well done - you got to the new forum! You will see that the GvG board is locked as there has been no activity in there for 5 years and there is no GVG as such in GW2, so I'm considering... deleting it! If you're particularly against that, let me know some time this week.

With input from Mori, the old Guild Hall board has been renamed to Ruins of Surmia and set aside for GW1 discussion. The GW2 threads have been moved to a new Guild Hall, which you must be aware of, since you found this post!

Also, FYI, new users are asked a question before they're allowed to join. This question is GW-based, so that should puzzle the spambots well enough!

Questions, comments, angry hatred? Go for it. ;D

Oh, and you can upload your own avatars now. Do as you wish!
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

Already updated my bookmarks!

already explored the different board styles. dunno which you use but prosilver is my fav so far. its too bad that we cant display the banner up top though.

most of all, i'd like to thank you for all the trouble. you did an awesome job!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Beraton » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:41 am

Glad you like it, Rhay!

We actually probably can change the banner. The old one was changed simply by replacing the image file, so I see no reason we can't do that again!

In fact, before submitting, I've just done it. Though that is a touch ugly. I'll have to find where the site style calls the image as it's squashed the banner. :shock:
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for the shiny new forums and website!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 pm

TEH SEXEH!
Nice one Bera.
Must go nose about now...
Muppet

Re:

Postby Muppet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Beraton wrote:Muppet, did you manage to see the pictures?

I can't login now. Using the same name and password as on this on this forum the site now tells me "login error - your password was probably incorrect. Try again!".
So anyway, I clicked on Gallery and then clicked Landscapes. I got "Showing 1 to 8 of 8 screenshots" but only 2 pics. None of the links I want to click are actually links, i.e. Gallery (to go back up), First, Prev, Next.
Using the browser navigationto go back and fourth I can work out that the "8" is the total in all galleries.
I can see all 8 pics though :)
Muppet

Postby Beraton » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the image count, Muppet. You're right - it was returning the numbers from the whole list, not just the selection. Fixed! Also added a back link to the gallery list for convenience.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Return to Guild Hall