So, what happened to your Guild Wars 1 characters?

GW2 discussion that doesn't quite fit elsewhere

So, what happened to your Guild Wars 1 characters?

Postby Varda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 am

I was wandering around Lornar's Pass this afternoon and came across the body of a giant frost wurm that was very likely Maw the Mountainheart. This led me to later go and try to find out what had happened to several NPC's from the first game. You can find some graves and apparently some NPC's in gw2 that share some similarities with GW1 henchmen, and may be descendents of them.

This in turn led me to think about those who don't have an in-game presence anymore. Your original guild wars 1 chars, whatever happened to them? Did they have descendants? Did they die in a blaze of glory? Are they wandering around in Ascalon, as very vengeful ghosts?

My main character, Varda, died in Elona trying to find a way to destroy Palawa Joko and failing somewhat miserably. No descendents left from there.

My mesmer, Sophie, had a family and descendents, but it is very unlikely that any remain. My ritualist, Ary, did so as well. I guess her descendents are still somewhere in Cantha. :P

Didn't give the others much thought at all yet.

Obviously there are some Morte's running around, so someone in THAT family was busy. ;) Anyone else have a thought about their own chars?
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Re: So, what happened to your Guild Wars 1 characters?

Postby Beraton » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:11 am

Ahhhh, nice idea for a topic! Also, check out north-westish in Brisban wildlands. You can learn about a few Maguuma jungle collectors.. Ooh! Same in Granite Citadel... ish!

As for my characters... Hmmmm. I can only imagine that the necro ended up sticking in Cantha. It kind of appealed to him. I don't know what happened to the other alts I had. But the main character of course was Beraton Melthak, the Ascalonian ele. He went on to have a few lesser adventures after smashing the Great Destroyer. He explored what he'd missed of the world. He also spent a long (LONG) time walking in circles in the Echovald forest. After that, he fled back to Kryta for fear that the mantids, dredge and wardens were going to build some sort of combined army to hunt him down. Eventually he found a nice young lady and settled down, had some kids and entertained them (and later grandkids) by setting things on fire. He and his other half abandoned the bizarre naming practice of the family. However, a number of generations later, a noble couple where the wife was interested in family history decided to name their son after Melthak, and so Beraton Selmy was born.

I guess after thinking about it a little more, the two main Canthan characters I had (Beraton Forestborn and Beraton Turisas) are the only ones who did anything. The rest probably died during their own campaigns! Forestborn (a ranger) probably settled in Ascalon in an attempt to help mend the land, later becoming one of the insane ghosts. Turisas killed Shiro and the Lich, then drank, ate and whored his way to an early grave.

So, as un-cheery as their lives ended up, Melthak had a good one! Plus some living legacy in GW2!
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Infinity » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 am

Kivan Bearclaw may very well still be alive. In the erotic fan fic I was writing it was going to be revealed that a group of my characters discovered one of the bloodstones (the regeneration one) smashed and all wore a piece round their necks which meant they never aged. He is Kivan Frostwood's father.

I was also going to write that my monk, Kivan Soulkeeper, being so traumatised from a life of trying to restore life but ultimately seeing so much death, ripped off his bloodstone amulet and threw himself off a cliff, at which point his tormented (?) armour tentacles began to grow and envelop his corpse.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Since I never got round to writing more than 3 and a half chapters of my Guild Wars fantasy epic, I guess I'll summarise...

Mori Yasushi was a Canthan scholar long before the time of Prophecies, who incidentally suffered prophetic visions throughout his life. He founded a school and gathered other scholars to him, making a name for himself as a scholar and keeping his 'gift' hidden from all but his closest family, but eventually the visions took him over completely. His family and the scholars who had been his students took care of him physically until his death and recorded his prophecies in a great book. After his descent into madness his followers gradually faded from the public eye and at the time of Prophecies virtually nobody knew who they were. They call themselves the Moriar and are quite rich, powerful and super-secret. They probably still exist in the time of GW2.

The Moriar used their knowledge from Mori Yasushi's prophecies to insinuate themselves into positions of influence from which they can ensure that history stays true to its "proper course" as dictated by the prophecies themselves. Shortly prior to the events of GW: Prophecies they were particularly interested in the doings of a particular Ascalonian noble house, House Behelit, led by the elderly Lord Theophrastus Morte (father of Xara). The Moriar knew the Searing was coming and aimed to make sure everything was in place for the epic events to follow in the properly ordained manner.

- Xara Morte (Ranger/main character, eldest daughter of Lord Theo) was a defiantly independent, free-roaming and adventurous lass, but capable of acting the part of a noblewoman and resigned herself to taking over as leader of House Behelit when her father died a year or two before the Searing. Following the Searing, she saved the world several times, survived and eventually settled down with someone (precisely who I'm leaving open to speculation). Sadly, she never bore a living child, and the leadership of House Behelit ultimately passed on to her nephew, Fay Morte's eldest son.

- Moriar the Patient (Monk, aka Li Chao, dutiful elder son of Moriar the Chaste) was in Ascalon, performing the duties of Steward for House Behelit and keeping a watchful eye on the heir, Lady Xara. Following the Searing, he organised the guild's move to Cantha while Xara went off to save the world. Once he was happy that the guild was running itself, he went to join her. He had a secret crush on her but it never came to anything. He accompanied her on and off throughout her many adventures and, after the defeat of the Great Destroyer, he disappeared - which was probably sensible, as his ruthless pursuit of "the correct course of history according to the prophecies" had made everyone thoroughly hate him. He became the new leader of the Moriar and reimposed the policy of total secrecy to allow people to forget their existence, but he continued working quietly to further their goals for the rest of his life.

- Fay Morte (Mesmer, Xara's younger sister) ran away to Kaineng some time before the Searing with a Canthan diplomat somewhat older than herself, inevitably regretted it, and managed to catch the eye of Moriar the Fey instead, who duly 'rescued' her from her previous beau. They joined Xara on her adventures part way through Prophecies.

- Moriar the Fey (Elementalist, aka Li Yang, rebellious younger son of Moriar the Chaste and brother to Moriar the Patient) was at one of Kaineng's top colleges, competing with his friend Rhayader for top marks in exams and the attention of girls. He didn't want to be part of the Moriar, but his father and brother argued that he was fated to serve their goals no matter how hard he struggled to be his own person. Sure enough, he encountered Fay Morte, fell in love with her, and followed her around on her adventures for the next several years before settling down with her and giving her many babies. Their children became the heirs to House Behelit. Fey and Fay are the direct ancestors of Lizaya Morte in Guild Wars 2.

- Moriar the Chaste (Ritualist, aka Li Zheng) was in Kourna, quietly watching over a little girl called Seshafi (Necromancer). He was trying to coach her to be a Ritualist in accordance with his interpretation of the Moriar prophecies, but she gravitated towards necromancy instead, being an incredibly contrary person. He accompanied her through the events of Nightfall (along with Xara and the rest), then disappeared following the defeat of Abaddon, having finally seen Seshafi achieve her potential. He probably died of old age in due course.

- 'Seshafi Odouga' (Necromancer, became Seshafi Morte), a very strange and difficult little girl, grew up blithely in Kourna whilst the events of Propheices and Factions were happening, made friends with a rain beetle, and developed a necromantic aptitude. During the events of Nightfall she turned out to be Xara and Fay's sister, and was reunited with them: her mother had died giving birth to her, and the Moriar had claimed that Seshafi too had died, whereas in fact they had arranged for her to be whisked away to Kourna without Theo's knowledge. This was one of the major reasons everyone hated Moriar the Patient by the end of the story. Easily the most powerful of the three Morte sisters, Seshafi was instrumental in Abaddon's defeat and the survival of the entire gang. She returned with her family to House Behelit, but never had children as she never really got on with other humans.

- 'Gamina' (Assassin, became Gamina Morte) was a prickly but adorably scruffy urchin making a right nuisance of herself amongst the Kaineng street gangs. After popping up once too often during Xara's adventures to 'help', she was adopted into the Morte family. She unexpectedly survived the whole series of adventures and continued to pop up unexpectedly now and then. At some point she managed to find a partner who could stand her long enough to raise some kids with her; she probably has descendants in Divinity's Reach somewhere.

- Isil Morte (Warrior) was a distant relative of the other Mortes who was somehow adopted and brainwashed by the Kurzicks, becoming a fanatically loyal soldier serving them. She killed Moriar the Judge in a duel, after which she managed to recover from her brainwashing and return to run House Behelit (which by then was based in Cantha due to being driven out of Ascalon by the Searing).

- Moriar the Judge (Paragon) was killed by Isil Morte (see above). I didn't have much else planned out for him really.

- Moriar the Grim (Dervish, barely played) was a relatively minor character who briefly romanced Seshafi before being killed by her. That'll teach him to court an absurdly powerful, crazy necromancer.

So there you go. Thanks for making this topic, it's fun to think about this stuff!

[Edit] Rewrote it so there's some vague readability/continuity there. Sorry for the wall of text.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Beraton wrote:Forestborn (a ranger) probably settled in Ascalon in an attempt to help mend the land, later becoming one of the insane ghosts. Turisas killed Shiro and the Lich, then drank, ate and whored his way to an early grave.

So, as un-cheery as their lives ended up, Melthak had a good one! Plus some living legacy in GW2!

Melthak was definately the luckiest of them all, though I'm sure Turisas thought his wasn't too bad at all. I feel sorry about Forestborn, though. I shall think one of the ghostly rangers around ascalon is him, next time I wander down there.

Infinity wrote: Kivan Bearclaw may very well still be alive. In the erotic fan fic I was writing it was going to be revealed that a group of my characters discovered one of the bloodstones (the regeneration one) smashed and all wore a piece round their necks which meant they never aged. He is Kivan Frostwood's father.

I was also going to write that my monk, Kivan Soulkeeper, being so traumatised from a life of trying to restore life but ultimately seeing so much death, ripped off his bloodstone amulet and threw himself off a cliff, at which point his tormented (?) armour tentacles began to grow and envelop his corpse.

Not sure I want to know about the erotic fanfiction. :shock: But why is it not posted on the board?

*flees*
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh hey, I was promised erotic fan fic, but this is just another melancholy-fest. Tsk, you guys.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about how most of my GW1 chars died/where they ended up, but I'll keep it short.

Aki Kuro made her way back to Kryta, her birthplace, and somehow got a necromancy school/refuge/priory running. She took Varda's death badly, and after a short and intense revenge trip she stopped adventuring for the most part. I figured she lived to a fairly mature age and then an illness wasted her away.

The others are less important and ended up suffering from different stereotypes. My warrior Erendis Black led a long and happy (slightly drunken) life somewhere in Lion's Arch, where I'm sure her descendants still live. Neren Alva, the monk, migrated from Elona and shacked up with some strapping Norn woman eventually, because height differences are hilarious; alas, no children. Kei Toru, Aki's father, died somewhere in Luxon lands, possibly drunk and bitter. Brother and sister Arne & Alter Luine lived separate lives, but didn't do too badly; Alter was a paragon of Sunspeardom until he was KIA, and Arne roamed all over until she settled in Old Ascalon. No idea what exactly happened to my ritualist, Eren Tsumi, other than she reunited with her younger sister Ary at some point and made her life hell for a brief period of insanity, because FUN and whynot.

And that's only 7 out of 12, but never mind the other 5. They were just there to look pretty and model clothes.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Return to Guild Hall