Don't buy anything from Scan!

The melting pot to discuss things not about GW!

Don't buy anything from Scan!

Postby Beraton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Ok, this will take a while.

(First part reposted from another forum)
To start with, when I bought this rig (all components from scam), the heatsink on the motherboard was just hanging off. Scan then took 10 days to send me a replacement peg+spring. Once it was running, there was a problem with rendering. As it turned out, the CPU was faulty. RMA'd that and the motherboard as I didn't know which had the fault. They sent the mobo back with a new CPU. All is well. At this point, my outlook is "hey, Scan. Not going to speak out in favour of them, but they seem to have come through ok in the end."

Boy has that just changed.

Three weeks ago, I started having problems with my PC crashing on video playback and high-power graphics. Drivers etc don't fix it. esh/myself assume graphics card. I sent an RMA request to Scam. After a few days of no reply, I tried buying a lower-end graphics card just to restore functionality. UH OH, crashes still occur. esh and I tear our hair out (stop giggling, Null) and finally settle on the motherboard. I go out and buy a lower-end motherboard to swap in and all is well. So this means we've got the source sussed.

I send off an RMA to Scan. Now, I'm fairly sparse on the details because I have it in mind that they've got the previous RMA on file. They get it, test it, find no fault. I phone them up asking wtf and remind them all I'd said in the other RMA. crashing during video, graphical issues, etc. This was all last Thursday. Today, I thought to check on the online RMA tracking page and I found what they'd put. In addition to no mention of having done further tests, we have:

From OLQ - customer very specific about the issue -
My current PC has suffered a hardware failure. It refuses to boot"

Re-Test request - "system will hang in 3d after about 30 minutes" - what chance do we have if customer doesn't give us the correct issue to start with?

YOU GODDAMN FUCKING BASTARDS. OF COURSE I WASN'T SPECIFIC. I'D ALREADY TOLD YOU EVERYTHING ELSE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION, FUCKING WELL ASK ME FOR IT. AND I DID GIVE YOU THE CORRECT ISSUE TO START WITH, YOU LITTLE CUNT.

GRARRRRRGHHHHHHHHH!

And I'd like to make note that this is what is stored WHERE THE CUSTOMER CAN SEE IT.

(End of repost)

Now, one month on, I seem to have got somewhere. I phoned the cretins twice, each time being promised it would be marked urgent. Today, I found that they have retested the board and found a fault. Awaiting replacement/credit. The punchline is the diagnosis.

Original fault AND re-test request are both wrong and bare zero resemblence to the actual issue. What hope do we have of testing items if customer doesn't provide a fault report that is close to the issue?
Board refusing to install XP - reboots with screen corruption. Nothing to do with no post. Nothing to do with crashing in 3D load.

As soon as I get my replacement, I'm going to give them fucking hell. Obviously, there's no chance that refusing to install XP could cause an already-installed OS to fail to boot. And perish the thought that screen corruption could have anything to do with problems around the PCI-E.

tl;dr summary: Do not buy anything from scan.co.uk. They're bastards.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Duly noted. O_o
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Elle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

They really need to get the cocky bastards responsible for those comments off customer support, where did they learn that attitude? What happened to "the customer is always right" :?

Sorry for your woes dude :(
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Beraton » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 am

They do. And the nice thing is that it has the engineer's name next to the diagnosis. :D I'll make sure to drop his name when I phone them up. :thwak:
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Return to Lion's Arch