Aion phishing galore

The melting pot to discuss things not about GW!

Aion phishing galore

Postby Muppet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Seems the problems with Aion data "escaping" go on. Latest seems to be lots of phishing attempts get account information.

I have found I had 2 of these recently.
First clue they are fake - very very bad english.
Next clue - if ya look at the header the actual from address is some hotmail account (in my case both from XXmarcofmc@hotmail.com)
Next - the HTTP link that looks like XXhttps://secure.ncsoft.com/ is not actually linking to that URL. If ya look at the link hiding behind the text it is for XXhttp://www.seucre-ncsoft.com/ (added the XX so ya can't accidentally click either one, 2nd is def. dodgey, and I don't know about first)

One good thing - the email address they sent it to is the one I used to register for the Aion Beta, NOT the one associated with my NCSoft account. So it looks like it is the Aion database they have gained access to, not the NCSoft master one. I very much hope so, as the Aion account is a Beta only one (so already dead), and the associated email address is one I use for untrusted sources only (just gets spam usually).

I have let NCSoft Support know of them both - via a genuine email link on their support page. Maybe it will help them find ways to block it, or track how they are getting our details from their systems.

Here is an example:
____

Aion Account Check
Thursday, 7 January, 2010 14:29:06From: "NCsoft Support (support@ncsoft.com)"
To: <me>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.
Please visit our web site XXhttps://secure.ncsoft.com/ as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Sixxor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Interesting. I got one of these the other day and I've never even played Aion at all...

Also, hi. :)
"People are bastard coated bastards, with bastard filling."
Sixxor
Filthy drow

Postby Muppet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey sixxor!

Yeah, seems Aion is one of the many MMOs targetted by the mass random mail scams. Now that most of them have decent anti-farmingbot code working the easiest way for sellers to make fast money is to steal peoples accounts. So they just spam the world with emails about their Aion, WoW, GW, LOTRO, etc accounts knowing that a few random hits get them some account info and thus some easy money.

One of the test krewe recently had his account stripped. Luckily they didn't delete any of his chars, just took all the money and goods and transferred them out to other accounts. evils :evil:
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Sixxor » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:36 am

Yeah I do keep getting ones trying to steal my WoW account too, but they're so woefully shit that I can't understand how anyone would be gullible enough to fall for them.
I'm talking 2 or 3 lines of plain text in really crappy english and that's it. No presentation, no banners or pictures or other ways to make it look like an official Blizzard email, hell most of them don't even mask their email address or the web links to make them look official.

If you're gonna try and steal accounts, at least put some effort into your spam mails!
"People are bastard coated bastards, with bastard filling."
Sixxor
Filthy drow

Postby Varda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:10 pm

My hotmail spam folder gets three or four of these every day. Aion, WoW and Battle.net ones (why they bother with battle.net is beyond me... I've only used that in the Diablo 1 days). I click "Report as phishing" when I feel like it, but they come from so many different emails that it's quite impossible to stop them like that.

Never got any on the account that's actually associated with my NCSoft account, fortunatly.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Return to Lion's Arch