Aion goes free next month

The melting pot to discuss things not about GW!

Aion goes free next month

Postby Muppet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I know a few (like me) had a go in Beta all that time ago.
I think some even played a little...?
So anyone thinking of giving it another go when it is F2P? If so let me know which server so I get in the right place this time, unlike Beta :/, as I am thinking of killing some hours there and see how it has evolved.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm

oh man, this is awesome!
i actually played a bit more in some private server just enough to kill the bug. but you know how those servers go, so it didnt last long.
cant wait to try it again.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Try and get a Beta key if ya can, as taking part will get you a free upgrade to Veteran account when it goes live which lifts loads of restrictions that the free accounts will have, e.g. 8 characters instead of just 2, how much you can sell/trade/gather, etc.
I got my Beta key just buy registering for the newsletter, so am already in there trying stuff out :)
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 pm

already downloaded the game and started patching.
i've been subscribbed to the newsletter ever since the game started XD but i never got a key :(
i went ahead and subscribbed to the specific aion free to play newsletter. lets hope i get lucky ^^
i saw the different models and im a bit afraid of what the limitations in chatting and trading for the basic accounts might be. they werent too specific on FAQ.
cant wait to get back into it again though :D
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 am

This showed up in my mail from the aion newsletter:
http://truly-free.aiononline.com/truly-free/index.php

Seems different from the aion free to play model, with no restrictions on trading or chatting.
will there be 2different clients for the game? Im confused...
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I think I read somewhere that Gameforge didn't get the rights all over the world, in particular not in America. I noticed that the banner at the top says NCSoft, and that the address of the Aion site link is http://na.aiononline.com/home
So if I were to guess I'd say NCSoft are setting up the F2P variant for America.

That site also has some pages with information about an event starting 27th (day before Gameforge servers open) trying to get folks to reactivate their subscription or get new players into a "free trial" with a level cap of 40. So perhaps they are also trying hard to keep as many paying players from jumping off to the Euro F2P as possible.

Did you log in to your NCSoft master account and request transfer of your Aion account to Gameforge? If not, maybe that is why you are targetted by this NCSoft campaign and I wasn't (my NCSoft account was original beta only but I did it anyway when I signed up to join new beta).
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm

i've been subscribed to the NA. Aion newsletter since it was annouced. thats why i didnt think about making that distinction.

in my NCSoft account i only have the first aion beta account. its marked as "beta" or "trial" (cant remember, i'll check later) so i dont think i'll even be able to ask to transfer it to gameforge. even if i did, i couldnt get anything out of it since i didnt get an invite to this latest beta.

from what i could gather, the main difference appears to be that "truly free", the NA one, offers full access to chat and trading features in exchange of a lvl 40 cap. the EU "free-to-play" one doesnt have a lvl cap, but has chat and trading limitations.

its a hard choice... on one hand chat and trading limitations seem harsh, on the other hand i dont know how long i'll play in order for the lvl cap to be a factor...
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Doh - why play in NA not Euro?

Well, I guess it also depends on what Gameforge finally announce as the way to upgrade from Starter to Veteran other than being a previous subscriber/beta player. If it is buying 1 gold pack then will be well worth it, if it is reach level 40 then you half finished the game before you can benefit.
Muppet

Postby Muppet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Oh - fresh from Aion forums - some Starter restriction sbeing lifted at Level 10.

Changelog

Whisper function for “Starters “ (level 10+) is no longer restricted
Before: Whisper only possible to players on friendslist
Now: Whisper chat with players not on friendslist possible

Reason: With this change Starters are able to join groups which are recruiting via the Find Group feature. Starters however cannot place their own search query for a group. They only can join and respond to existing Recruit Group requests.

Gathering limit restriction for “Starter” has been raised
Before: Players could gather 50 pieces /day
Now: Players can now gather 150 pieces /day

Reason: The new limit should help Starters with their crafting professions and leveling essence/aether tapping thus making it easier to finish gathering quests.

NPC sell limit restriction for “Starter” has been raised
Before: NPC sell limit was set to a low level
Now: NPC sell limit is raised and matches the needs of the players better

Reason: The NPC sell limit has been raised and balanced to match players’ needs better.
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

thnx for the info.

but we are both leaving out the most important feature. you'll be playing the EU version, and since im hoping to tag along and play with you, that pretty much settles the deal XD.

those changes make me have really high hopes though. i'd be open to buy a "veteran" pack or whatever mostly for the access to the AH.

already did the download. so i guess i'll cya in game tomorrow!

edit: i suppose i'd want to create an account, but i havent figured out how to do so.
and plz post back once you figure out which server / race you'll be playing.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm

I was going to play Elyos - simply because I played Asmo during Beta to level 32 anyway so felt like trying the other side. But am not really fussed if you have any experience or preference.
Probably make a Glad first as they are simple to play. Am hoping I'll find time to try several of the classes though (us Vets get 8 slots :P ) as they look fun.

Was going to join the new English server, rather than one of the transferred servers full of high levels already. Unless someone here had flagged up any existing account on an existing server they wanted to carry on playing.
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:29 pm

sounds good. most definitely making a templar. or maybe a cleric. never really tried those.
but i simply detest maces...

which class was your asmo?
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 pm

I had a Asmo Glad during beta, which is why I know I got on fine with it. Simple to play, effective alone and even more so with a healer backup (picked up random Cleric or Chanter a few times).

But I also fancy trying out the Chanter which gets lots of positive comments as a solo PvE or group PvE or even PvP class.
Cleric similar.
I wasn't thinking of Templar as I worry it is too specific, a tank with not as much damage, that you only need one of per group and takes longer to do stuff solo. But never played it so only hearsay.

Maybe I'll find time to ttry them all :)

Though in back of my mind I wonder if I might not be in Aion for long if GW2 appears suddenly, so not anticipating getting heavily in to end-game PvP stuff. Just looking forward to wasting many hours working through the quests and areas levelling up a range of classes while they are fun.

And servers are not up and they don't seem very confident they will actually get up today after all...
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

had a blast playing with a templar. other classes always seemed to get in trouble if i accidentaly aggroed too much. it was also very good against pvp. even though im not very experienced i was able to win a bunch of skirmishes in the middle of the town.

its true that in pve it can be a bit slow. when i created a sorcerer i was mind blown by how fast it was to kill some mobs. however, the templar demanded a lot more active play instead of just spamming your spells at the right order and managing your snares. from switching weapons mid combos, or changing stances at the right time in order to block and counterattack. even though it was slow, it felt very rewarding. and even if you get ganked you have a chance of fighting back instead of just getting backstabbed and killed in 2 hits.

i completely forgot about the chanter. they seem really nice. a cleric without maces = Win!

i have the same feeling about gw2. if an open beta or some other event comes along i wont even look back.

too bad the servers arent up yet. even the website seems to be down... i even had the day off tomorrow :(
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 pm

servers are up. i created a new account even though my old ncsoft beta account had a option to transfer it. but since it was giving a weird error i decided to leave it. i doubt it would give me veteran status.

created an elyos priest and warrior on the nexus server. (aparently its the new one everyone is playing). i'm gonna level up the priest to see if i enjoy it. otherwise i'll go back to the templar.
priest's name: Rhay
so you can add me whenever
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Just got home from work (dashed out soon as I could) and immediately fired up client.
Server is full :x
Muppet

Postby Muppet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Well I got in eventually, and even managed to register my beta rewards in the shop before it went offline again. So I got Vet I think, seem to be able to make mor ethan 2 chars anyway (though haven't yet).
But I made these:
Muppet - Warrior (will be Glad), the guy I am starting with
Muppette - Priest (to try Chanter later)

Tried adding Rhay to friends, you is offline.

Made House Behelit legion yet? :)
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 pm

:D

i wont be able to make a legion on a starter account. i'll wait till everything settles down before i think about buying a "gold pack" (?).
Rhayader
The silent type

Return to Lion's Arch