Last night the nerf bat killed my game! (Major update3/3/06)

GW1 discussion

Last night the nerf bat killed my game! (Major update3/3/06)

Postby Lys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:49 am

The big pvp update Anet promised a few weeks ago is finally there. For the complete (and long!) list of skills changes, check here : http://www.guildwars.com/aboutgw/gameupdates/default.php

Most important thing first :

"Kepkhet Marrowfeast, Queen of the Scarabs, has brought her brood to the desert, drawn by the plentiful corpses of griffon, minotaur, and even other scarabs. The insect brood now infests the "Prophets Path," so travelers be warned!"

Yes, you're right........ No more treasure hunting in augury !!! The new scarabs are nasty, some of them lay traps (even more than devourers) and some others are necros with well of profane (which removes enchants...) and virulence >__< If you haven't lifequitted GW yet, you can have a look into the other changes.

To summarize :

- Iway skill is officially nerfed, attack speed is reduced to 25% and the skill doesn't work anymore with minions. It's still effective with pets though.

- Iway build is officially badly nerfed : iway is less effective, orders don't stack anymore (Order of the Vampire doesn't work with Order of Pain, you can only have one of them at a time), Heal party now requires 2 sec recharge (sigh...)

- Ranger spike is also affected by orders changes and thus toned down.

- All the dominating skills are nerfed in a way or another : gale costs 10 energy now (hard to manage for a warrior), blackout has a longer recharge, distortion makes you lose more energy, cripple shot is more expensive, offering of blood sacrifice cost is doubled (!). All in all, the builds which were dominating the last GvG season are weaker : distortion/crippler ranger flag runner, frenzy axe/gale warrior, boon prot monk with OoB, energy denial mesmer, resolve trapper.

- Now that the health sacrifice is higher for OoB, it will be soon time to consider a better elite for energy management (who said Mantra of Recall?) More than ever OoB vs MoR !

- For mesmers, ineptitude and fevered dreams are now back on track with a nice boost. Those elites were hardly ever played. Epidemic is cheaper.
- For eles, the fire attribute benefits from a significant increase in damage. Conjure frost/fire/lightning doesn't remove other enchants anymore (yay!)
- For necros, interesting buff for enfeebling blood (which was too expensive)
- For monks, holy veil has longer recharge now. Many elites are buffed up, especially the prot ones (shield of regen and mark of protection). Martyr is less spammable. Resurrect casting time is only 6 seconds now, still it doesn't beat our good ol' rez sig but could be a sweet alternative to restore life for a fast cast rezzer.
- For warriors, most stances benefits from improvements. Dwarven Battle Stance sure deserves a look now. Eviscerate will take longer to charge.
- For rangers, cripple shot costs 15 now (the same cost as pin down). Beast Mastery is hugely improved. In a huge way. And good way. Time to use your oink in pvp !

-"Added two +30 Health, Received Damage -5 (Chance: 20%) shields to the PvP character creation screen; updated monster drops to make the Received Damage -5 (Chance: 20%) drop possible." ------> New kind of shield, looks like uber (compared to permanent -2 dmg shields we had til now) -------> drops in pve --------> remember Icy Dragon Sword crazyness? ---------> time for some exciting treasure hunting !!! That could be the fastest way to your FoW armor set ^_-

All in all, it's time to bring out new builds and experiment. Even if those changes aren't groundbreaking, it's a good opportunity to diversify and maybe find the next FotM!
Last edited by Lys on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lys

Re: Last night the nerf bat killed my game! (Major update3/3

Postby Lys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:52 am

Edit : wrong button... too early... sleep deprivation.... @_@

(gah where's the delete post button?)
Lys

Postby Infinity » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:39 am

My Gwen will be happy, when i now shout "Go Gwen! Kick their fucking faces off! She actually can."

Mesmers:
I have always liked the look of Fevered Dreams (I even made a build around it), glad they buffed it as i thought it was underused. Its a bitch to cap tho (on your own at least). I also think Chaos Storm will be sneaking into peoples skill bar now.

Ele:
As everyone predicted, Gale gets nerfed. Tho I thought they would also increase the "50% failure with air magic 4 or less". (even tho most gale warriors have 9 air. Oh, and Mist Form rox! (still)

Monk:
I can see the biggest effect being from the increase recharge to mend ailment. Especially in PvE. I'm glad protective spirit wasn't touched.

Warrior:
Yup, IWAY nerfed. Everyone thought this was going to happen. No suprises.

Ranger:
As predicted, Crippling Shot gets nerfed. It was hugely overpowered before, although i didnt think they would simply up the energy cost. I suspected ANet would increase recharge or change the "cannot be evaded...." attribute in some way. Pets are now viable damage dealers, a much needed buff for one of the most underpowered but more interesting attributes in the game.
The biggest buff that rangers have now is that mend ailment has been nerfed meaning conditions builds are even more powerful.

Kepkhet Marrowfeast, Queen of the Scarabs, has brought her brood to the desert, drawn by the plentiful corpses of griffon, minotaur, and even other scarabs. The insect brood now infests the "Prophets Path," so travelers be warned

If Prophets path is where I think it is then it has serious ramifications for the normal 55hp farming run. (which is a pain in the arse, its one of the only decent ways to get any money, especially since ANet destroyed the trading market with the abundance of green items)

edit:

*sorry Lys, didnt spot you had mentioned this*

Logging on for a spot of farming is the only reason I bother half the time. Ive done all the quests with my ranger and PvP holds little interest with me, so what else is there to do?

The logic of them nerfing the desert is beyond me. At this stage a lot of people are simply playing PvE to farm. Farming griffons does not harm the game in any way. The overfarming of high level PvP areas in which parties are guarranteed perfect items has destroyed the economy (as ive already mentioned, sorry, im ranting). You will now struggle to get rid of Victos Blade for more than 20k, even though this was 100k item when it first appeared. Fissure armour is no longer viable except to the select few there is a major gulf between the cost of it and the ammount of money a normal player can obtain.

Yes yes, you can still farm ettins, but i swear i cant remeber ever having a superior rune drop.

Why not nerf runners somehow? The effect of having inexperienced PvE'ers in the later missions is far more damaging.

And for the love of christ can they please fix the 'being attacked on a bridge by enemies on the ground bug', it really is very annoying. An where's the "Fixed bug that made you fall through bridges and stairs" or the "Fixed bug that meant Alisa and Lina spaff enemies in the face with their wands instead of healing" or the "Fixed bug the meant AI henchies mindlessly stood in lava." But hey, fuck it, its only PvE.

Roll on Oblivion.
Last edited by Infinity on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:39 am

Haha! I looooove change. Especially when it gets the entire pvp community up in arms, as is guaranteed to happen with something like this. Maybe I should stay away from the Guild Hall forums for a few days :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 am

Some comments of my own:

Change to energy loss from Distortion doesn't really affect us. Minimum is still 1, and we only put it on characters with high Illusion so far :P

Changes to mesmer and necro hexes make me even keener to try a hex-based build. In fact it's been a while since I put any new build together.. think I need a kick up the arse.

Whirlwind recharge time reduced. Guess you'll be keeping that on your air ele, Bera :P

OotV and OoP no longer stacking.. hurrah! This won't kill ranger spike completely, but it'll make countering a little easier.

Inferno and Flame Burst increases: Time to be a little more cautious around Drakes, Burning Titans and Fire Imps, huh?

Mist Form: Was using this on my flag runner yesterday. It's pretty good, but I kept dying/getting interrupted if trying to use it in combat. Now it's really a viable elite..

Mend Ailment -> 5s recharge: People won't like this, but I guess it was needed, damn indispensible skills. This makes Restore Condition an even nicer elite to bring (if you have Mend Condition on another monk - both are target other ally only)

Holy Veil: Still a viable multipurpose hex removal. I'd have preferred to see Remove Hex buffed a bit, really.

Shielding Hands: I was hoping they'd reduce the recharge on this, but with decreased cast time to .25 seconds it now makes an excellent ranger spike counter, especially if put on two different monks.

Healing Hands: Much-needed buff. Is it now useful? You tell me.

Bull's Strike/Bull's Charge: Much better now, as it deals with cunning strafe-kiters and flag runners as well as those who simply run away.

Dwarven Battle Stance: Ouchie.

Crippling Shot: This is a very painful nerf.

Beastmastery buffs: This should make things really quite interesting :D
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 pm

Nice!

Love the IWAY and Orders nerfs. Maybe now in HA we won't face IWAY 75% of the time and Rangers with Orders the other 25%

Also nice is the nerfing of Distortion and Blackout, every single Mesmer I face in GvG seems to have those.

Lots of Warrior skill improvements in there I see...

Bull's Strike & Bull's Charge: Awesome, those would hardly ever knock down the enemy for me, even though they were running away from me.

Dwarven Battle Stance: Ooh, that IS nice! I wanna try that out now.

Edit: MoP's been improved! Sweeeeet!
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Varda » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Oh, i had missed the Healing Hands update somewow. VERY Sweet. The recharge stil lsucks, but havign it at 1/4 sec cast time really IS sweet and makes it a viable counter-spike. Place shielding hands in the build as well and you're set against ranger spike, for the most part. If they had put that one MoP, I'd be an even happier camper - I do love the skill, but won't ever use it in a monk due to the skill locking and waste of a good elite slot. I've used it in PvE with my ranger, though, and it has saved a few lifes... Been a while since I used it.

IWAY nerf = very nice. Not that it will stop being used, but the dual nerf on speed and the orders means it's far easier to counter, as the spike won't be as great. Same for ranger spike, althought it's still going to be painful (just cicle through the orders, does less damage but still an impressive amount).

Holy Veil nerf - could be worse... 2 added seconds, it can be worked around... Still faster than smite or inspired hex, not as fast as remove hex with it's long casting time. All in all, just makes hex-heavy builds more effective.

Mend Ailment nerf - Owie. I loved Mend Ailment more than mend condition. Now it's not spammable, so I guess mend cond will permanently replace it in my skill bar... but I hate not being able to use it on myself.

I don't see how distortion has actually been nerfed? Wasn't it always 4...1 energy lost per attack evaded? Might be something I'm missing...

Hurray on crippling shot nerf. It really was being way overused. Then again, 15 energy at 11 expertise is manageable... but it certainly means those R/Me runing blackout are going to have a harder time coming up with the 10 energy for it.

Which leads me to....

Blackout: With a 12 second recharge, this means you actually have 5 seconds where a mesmer won't be completly shutting you down form that one skill alone. Means you can hide your energy well, escape their energy burns/energy surges AND still have time to quickly dish out a spell or two after they do it.

Maybe.

Beastmaster: I can't WAIT to try out a BM build now! Fan-diddlingdoodle-tastic! Want. Must do. :D

All in all, I weep for the loss of Heal Party as spammable, the nerfing of holy veil... But this should work out just fine, in the end. :D

(Lys and Kiv: Yeah. The neat farming area really sucks now... I'm tired of green items, and all I'll do from now on are ettin or underworld farming trips... though I may go treasure hunting for those -5 dmg shields while they're hot! :D)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:36 pm

i specially like the new energy burn! mesmers are even more l33t now!!

other than that i enjoy the iway nerf aswell. all of the other nerfs dont really affect me, but its nice to see things changing. that way people have to keep coming up with new stuff, thus making the game feel refreshed.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:56 pm

From checking out the history on the Distortion page of Guildwiki, it looks like Distortion used to be 1..3 energy loss.
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:35 pm

There's an uncomfirmed rumour that this update broke the recently introduced monster AoE fleeing. Anyone confirm?
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:21 pm

I can confirm that that's bollocks.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:00 pm

Ah yes, thought so.. the scarabs were running from Orion for me. Cheers :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Lys » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:50 am

Before the update :

Practiced Stance (Elite)
Elite Stance. For (Min: 20 - Max: 35) seconds, your Preparations are ready 50% faster and last (Min: 24% - Max: 50%) longer.

After the update :

Practiced Stance: increased bonus duration to 30..150%.
or
Practiced Stance (Elite)
Elite Stance. For (Min: 20 - Max: 35) seconds, your Preparations are ready 50% faster and last (Min: 30% - Max: 150%) longer.
Cost 5, Cast 0, Recharge 15, Attribute Expertise

Unchanged :

Choking Gas
Preparation. For (Min: 1 - Max: 12) seconds, your arrows deal (Min: 1 - Max: 8) more damage and spread Choking Gas to all adjacent foes on impact. Choking Gas interrupts foes attempting to cast Spells.
Cost 15, Cast 2, Recharge 24, Attribute Wilderness Survival

Tested and worked impressively well. That combo could be the new base for a ranger shutdown. It's spammable (choking gas should last longer than its recharge) and quite cheap. A good and interesting alternative to your average-joe punishing shot, savage, distracting spamming build.
Lys

Postby Infinity » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:40 am

Another combination that will become insanely popular.

Does that work with flurry?

My usual interrupt build was based on repeating ignite arrows and choking gas over and over, but +150% duration has taken away the idle 'casting time' of that.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:29 pm

It shouldn't work very well with Flurry, seing as that is a stance as well... It'll remove Practiced stance, afterall.

Unless the bonus stacks if you slap practiced stance on and doens't change if you put on another stance, of course.

Should test it... good spot, Lys.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Return to Ruins of Surmia