New Guildhall? (Redux)

GW1 discussion

Which Guild Hall would you most like to live in?

Isle of Weeping Stones
9%
Isle of Meditation
55%
Isle of Jade
No votes
Imperial Isle
36%

Total votes : 11

New Guildhall? (Redux)

Postby Mori » Fri May 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Well, people are pretty firmly in favour of a change of scenery towards Factions, so it's down to those four. Cast your votes now! Base it on your personal preference - if you don't know or care about gvg tactics, just base it on aesthetics :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Sixxor » Fri May 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Hmm, it's between Imperial and Weeping Stones for me, I'll have a proper look around both and then vote. :)
"People are bastard coated bastards, with bastard filling."
Sixxor
Filthy drow

Postby Klokwurk » Fri May 05, 2006 6:12 pm

Imperial for me, I also like Meditation.

Weeping Stone and Jade are a bit gloomy for my liking.
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Varda » Fri May 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Weeping or Meditatio, for me. Aestetically I absolutely LOVE weeping ston - it's beautiful beyond compare. Yes, it's dark, but have you looked at the stained glass windows, seen the statue near the flag stand, marvelled at the brilliant architecture?

Sorry. I'm in love with the place.

Tactic-wise it offers little, it seems. It has a couple of good hiding places for casters near out guild hal, then it has that blessed water pit at the gates... The flag stand is positioned a little awkwardly, not really sure how that could play to our advantage, and the path to it is very linear.

Meditation Island is going to force us to get better very fast, so it's my first GvG choice.

(Can we have two halls? ;))
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Fri May 05, 2006 7:16 pm

i like both meditation and imperial. but meditation has more to be seen, more places to hang out, etc...
so although we might get beaten in the first gvg battles at our hall i think we would have a much better place to have the raves klok has promised.

im a bit concerned about the pvp tournament though as i dont know if we will have a decent place to fight without henchies interference
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Sat May 06, 2006 12:11 am

Meditation wins by miles :)
It is sooo pretty. And has sea. And a waterfall. And mountains. And lots of sky. And a beach!
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby khaz » Sat May 06, 2006 12:13 am

Imperial = ideal for our current playing style. Offers minimal entry points in and out of bases and allows for quick spotting of splits. Direct path to the flag stand. Also has two teleportation points to allow from getting one side of the main battlefield to the other if a split is happening or a battle has shifted. Suspect npcs will play big role. Also a very pretty hall, very chinese in design, very red and very very err..imperious. And the central area will make for a very nice and busy outpost like environment once the npcs are all added and we have regular get togethers in the hall. :)

Meditation = by far the prettiest of the halls personally. Also will be the hardest to master tactically. Obelisk stand has been added (Which is a level ABOVE the flag stand), of the top of my head there are at least 2 or 3 ways a base can be entered. Splitting up without supreme coordination will result in severe hammerings. And splitting up in general will result in err..severe hammerings.

I say Imperial for now. Switching halls again shouldn't be a problem if it goes all pear shaped in imperial. We can all pool in cash.
khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby khaz » Sat May 06, 2006 12:53 am

Update:

Turns out the imperial hall isnt as straightforward as it looks. Anya and me found acid traps down the side paths so any splitters looking to make a quick getaway won't find it so easy. A water ele and a crippling ranger would be absolutely devastating if they snare someone in the acid traps. They can easily wipe out 150+ hp when running through them let alone when snared.

The teleportation pads are very much a necessary evil. Absolutely essential for the splits and for defending against splits and for traversing the huge expanse of the middle area. But, but....the smarter guilds will definitely use it for mass confusion and this is something we can definitely use.

Technically it should be the hardest to play with Mori's split build in the imperial hall as not only is it the easiest to try it on but its also the hall which provides the best defense against splits.

And we took another look at the meditation isle. As mentioned before, it's a splitter's heaven, requires handling of two stands and has numerous paths. But as Anya said, lots of paths, not many pathways. There seem to be loads of gates and presumably the guild thief wont have access to all of them. Lots of lever pulling might have to be done and while we dont know how much of a difference it will make but killing the guild thief at an opportune moment could allow an opportunity to force an advantage as access points on the meditation isle generally seem to be key to the map.

Anyway, as much as I love the meditation isle I still say the imperial isle is ideal for us at the moment. It feels more social than meditation, has more depth than it looks and allows us an excellent opportunity to refine our gvg more, especially our spiking tactics/coordination and definitely allows for expansion of our builds as it's a spikers heaven. :)
khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby Lys » Sat May 06, 2006 3:22 am

I voted for Meditation Isle because :
- it's nice =D
- it's fun to play
- it allows a lot of flexibility build-wise

I had the opportunity to test both Meditation and Imperial (which seems to be our favorite ones) and here are some random thoughts :

1) Imperial :
Like Khaz mentionned previously, it's huge. And open. The center area is easily one of the largest battlefield, all halls taken into account. And that's where the flagstand is to be found. A spiker's heaven. The trick on this map is where the flag spawn : it does NOT spawn in your base but on a side path out of your base. Which is pretty near of the flagstand. So it's really easy and fast to cap. Which means that it's really hard to get a morale boost.
And above all, the flag spawns in the middle of a path trapped with acid traps (20 dmg/sec). To grab the flag and go through all the path, the runner will suffer around 200dmg, which is quite alot. (no snaring nor speed buff taken into account here). A Runner with high armor is best suited it seems.
The two teleports are kinda useless, they just teleport you from west to east (or vice-versa) of the middle of the map, allowing you to take a ramp towards the backgate of your opponent's base. Which sounds nice but which isn't actually because there will be no surprise effect (it's near from the center and the way is long, giving more time for the foes to notice you) and the enemy can easily spike you from the center.
The Guild Lord Room isn't deep but wide, the rez shrine is quite near downstairs.
All in all, that hall is heavily-oriented towards spiking tactics (fast flag capping means that you have more time to deal with a split as a full team and then go capping as a full team), it doesn't offer any specific edge to pressure builds and it puts split builds in big disadvantage.

2) Meditation :
Once again, like previously mentionned by Khaz, there are 2 stands to cap (with different purposes) and some gate locks. First, the map is tiny and the center area with the two stands are a shot away from both bases. So if a team wins a fight at the flagstand, she can push forwards into opponent's base in the same move.

The map looks complicated but it's pretty simple actually. As usual, there are two gates ar your base, the main one (west one) leads downhill to the flagstand, which gives you the usual morale boost. The back gate of your base (east one) leads uphill to the obelisk stand. That brand new stand can be capped like a flagstand and grants you a control on obelisk guardians. Obelisk Guardians are the stones statues that can be seen along the path to the flagstand (a group of 4, then a group of 3, then a group of 4). They spit FIREBALLS (28dmg on a normal armour per statue every 6 seconds) which is not groundbreaking but it sure gives you an edge when needed (to overwhelm with pressure ie). Fun!

The area around the obelisk stand is locked with 3 gates (north, south and east). You do _not_ need a guild thief to unlock those gates, there's a lever just next to the obelisk stand. The lever control the opening of _all_ the gates at the same time. Why is that important? Because, like on the frozen isle map, when you activate the gates, that will leave a way wide open which leads straight to your opponent back gate base. Really nice for a split squad as the other road is way longer which means that it's harder to retreat from the flagstand. Though, at first, the uphill area (with the obelisk stand and the gate lever) can only be accessed through the east gate. And the road to that east gate is full of purple mist which gives you a nasty debuff (it's not a condition nor an hex, it can't be removed) called miasma : it acts like disease, giving you -5 pips of health degen and spreading to other players. More fun =D

The nice thing about that center area is its size : it's small enough to allow obelisk split and flag split to fight "together" (healers downhill can heal the team uphill if they stay close to the edge, rangers uphill can attack foes downhill with a height bonus). The two stands are really close to each other even if you can't go from one to the other directly.

The Guild Lord room is tiny and packed with npcs which doesn't offer maneuverability. I'd say that the turtling team has an edge because the entrance is to the GL room can be easily bodyblocked by 2 or 3 players. So it's quite easy to trap overextending warriors in your own base and punish them with the help of your npcs. On the other hand, the rez shrine is quite far away.

All in all, that hall offers a wide range of tactics choices. It might seem best suited for split builds but it can give an edge to builds which rely on pressure/degen/attrition. Obviously, spike teams have a small disadvantage, due to the landscape which offers some nice hiding places. But it's really up to you to choose the way you play on that map. You can ignore the obelisk stand during all the match and play as a tight 8vs8 team. You can split since the start and dual run the stands, trying to gank npcs by using the gates lever. You can swap tactics during fights, like suddenly deciding to cap the obelisk stand just before VoD (obelisk guardians work great on slow walking npcs =D). Sometimes it can turn the tide (like the cat in our current isle =D).

That's why I believe Meditation Isle will provide us more fun than Imperial : by providing more diversity ^_^
Erm... it turned out longer than expected.... Well, thanks for your attention =D
Lys

Postby Elle » Sat May 06, 2006 11:29 am

Based purely on looks I went for imperial, soooooo perdy. I like the weeping stone isle and mediatation too, just not as much. I think the isle that suits us best for gvg will probably win anyway ;)
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Mori » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm

For those of you who haven't noticed, we now have a new guildhall, as well as every currently buyable NPC except the scroll trader :) Go have a wander around and enjoy the scenery. Thanks to Kivan for providing the Celestial Sigil, and to Champ, Beraton, Rhay, Varda, Lys, Khaz, Nick, Muppet, Klok and Abes for their astoundingly generous contributions towards the NPCs! (I just know I've missed out someone's name here :oops: )
Last edited by Mori on Mon May 08, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Klokwurk » Mon May 08, 2006 3:51 pm

I helped get one of the NPCs ;P just not as much as the others, as I never have much moneyz. :P
Klokwurk

Postby Elle » Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 pm

Sorry Mori, I would have helped but I havn't logged on much for the past few weeks :( (and if you've seen me logged on lately it's probably been Nick playing with my mesmer).

If you need cash for anything else next time I'm on just ask ;)
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Mori » Mon May 08, 2006 11:14 pm

Well, we still need another 24k towards the scroll trader! ;)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am

Do we NEED a scroll trader? :P
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Tue May 09, 2006 3:26 am

It's a collector's compulsion - Gotta get them all!
Last edited by Erendis on Tue May 09, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Tue May 09, 2006 9:20 am

Erendis speaks truth! And for my part I do *very* occasionally use scroll traders, and when I want to use one I want it to be there in my guildhall :P
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Tue May 09, 2006 9:32 am

*sigh*

*goes to farm*

;)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 am

Where do people get so much money?

I do my fair bit of farming but with 5 characters who always need new clothes, bills to pay and a crack habit I never have much cash :?
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Tue May 09, 2006 11:47 am

Loans. We're up to our colelctive necks in debts to the greatest Canthan banking agencies.

It's well worth it, though!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Tue May 09, 2006 11:50 am

Have you considered consolidating all your existing loans into one manageable monthly payment?
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Elle » Tue May 09, 2006 1:17 pm

I was going to go with Norton Finance for such matters, but they wanted me to walk a tight-rope with some cardboard boxes. So I told em where to stick it.
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Klokwurk » Tue May 09, 2006 4:23 pm

For loans of 800 to 15,000 gold, just call Lombard Direct!
Klokwurk

Return to Ruins of Surmia