BHLT Screenshot Competition!

GW1 discussion

BHLT Screenshot Competition!

Postby Varda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Hello and welcome to another mad contest brought to you by Vardarendis!

This time it is a SCREENSHOT COMPETITION so have your PrntScrn at the ready, because we’re giving away some big prizes!

500 unID golds

11 Destroyer Weapons

100 Lockpicks

Plus, each participant will be rewarded with 5 Zaishen Keys or 5 Globs of Ectoplasm for their efforts, regardless of placing.

So, what do you have to do to get your pick from the above prizes? Just grab your character, choose a theme and be ready to take lots of screen captures!

Here’s how it works:

- You will be given a choice of 2 themes to recreate/illustrate in-game. You will be free to choose the settings, amount of characters involved, etc, appearing in your screenshot.

- You will be required to offer a very brief written explanation of what you tried to portray in your screenshot to help us judge it, no exceptions.

- The contest will last exactly 30 days [ April 16 – May 16 ]] and will have 2 rounds that will run for 15 days each: the first round will be eliminatory and only 3 participants will be chosen to move on to the second and last round; those 3 will be our finalists.

- The entries will be judged and scored on a scale of 1-10 (1 being “wtf is going on in this” and 10 being “omg, it’s just like the real thing”) by Varda and Erendis as impartially as they manage to be.

THEMES

- Recreate a favourite or iconic scene from a book, movie or game (other than GW) of your choice (worth +3 points)
- Recreate a scene or event in Guild Wars lore (i.e. Rurik’s death, Kormir’s ascension, etc) (worth +2 points)

Rules:

1. You may only pick 1 theme out of the given;
2. You may submit up to 2 screenshots to illustrate your chosen theme, but they may not be 2 different screenshots of the same scene;
3. You may crop your original screenshot however you see fit before submitting it to us;
4. You may not alter or edit your screenshot in any way beyond cropping;
5. All entries must be .jpg, .bmp or .png in format;
6. You can submit your entries via email to wandereroflight@ gmail.com (Varda) AND erendisblack@ gmail.com (Erendis).

Tips!

- Choose your settings carefully; the stage is important.
Image Image

- Enlist help! Most things are better in good company.
Image Image

- Set a mood. Sometimes the right weapon or matching armour makes all the difference.
Image Image

- Action shots are fun!
Image Image

- Remember you have loads of resources; explore and combine!
Image Image

- Don’t dismiss NPCs. Even the coldest ones have their soft spots...
Image Image

- Emote!
Image Image

- Never forget your characters are the real stars in GW. Make them shine!
Image Image

PS- Any questions can be posted on this topic, or be directed via PM to Varda or Erendis.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Beraton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:57 pm

Awesome competition. :D

I'm curious about something. So, we can submit two screenshots illustrating our chosen theme, but not the same scene... I seek a definitions!

The two screenshots can't be the same scene. Is that GW scene, say we'd rotated the camera left by 90 degrees, or is that movie/book/game scene, say we have one depicting "I am your father" and another scene depicting "ET go home"?

Also, if it is that we can't use the same GW scene, what is the stance on the scene we are recreating? Are we limited to the same concept for both screenshots? i.e. if we chose our theme as "I am your father", would we be limited to making the second screenshot of the same movie scene, but with different characters/locations/etc?
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Erendis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Beraton wrote:The two screenshots can't be the same scene. Is that GW scene, say we'd rotated the camera left by 90 degrees, or is that movie/book/game scene, say we have one depicting "I am your father" and another scene depicting "ET go home"?

You can't submit 2 screenshots of the same GW-recreated scene (i.e. different angles). If you do, we will only score you for one of them. Needless to say, but if you submit 2 screenshots, you get more points.

Beraton wrote:Also, if it is that we can't use the same GW scene, what is the stance on the scene we are recreating? Are we limited to the same concept for both screenshots? i.e. if we chose our theme as "I am your father", would we be limited to making the second screenshot of the same movie scene, but with different characters/locations/etc?

As long as you stick to the theme you picked, you're free to do whatever with your 2 allowed screenshots. That is, pick 2 different movies/books/games, represent 2 different scenes of the same movie/book/game or recreate the same movie/book/game scene in 2 different manners.

I hope that answers your question as confusingly as it was posed. ^______^
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Beraton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Excellent! I believe I understand. Thank you.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 pm

I too have a question: Are those three awesome prizes listed at the top of the post all for the winner, or are they first/second/third prizes?
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Mori wrote:I too have a question: Are those three awesome prizes listed at the top of the post all for the winner, or are they first/second/third prizes?

Winner gets to pick one out of the three; 2nd place picks from the remaining two; 3rd place gets the leftovers!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Infinity » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:10 am

I have a question: how the fudge have you hacked your storage to fit 500 goldies!?
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:21 pm

The real question should be, how long is it going to take to transfer those to whoever chooses it as their prize? ;)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 pm

I am drooling at those prizes. Very generous.

But...I am not the least bit arty (remember my sad little banners :oops: ) so I know I won't be seeing them. Some of you are though, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Actually Muppet, I've got a couple of ideas that I'd like to enlist your help with recreating... If they win a prize we can share the booty! :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:23 pm

i actually voted for one of your banners muppet! so dont be sad! cant wait to see everyones submission! participating is fun!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 am

Just remembered this site with great screenshots too look at, for inspiration or if you're after the perfect scenario for your shoot:

[Snapshot Henchman]

Only old Tyria is done so far, and a few other random spots, but it's worth a look!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:40 am

Am I right in thinking that the deadline for this round is Friday i.e. two days' time?

Cause I still haven't taken any damn shots. So busyyyyy :(
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:11 am

unlucky that we had the update to explore and suddenly we have a bunch of stuff to do with so many characters. i havent found the time to take my last screenie either. lets get to it!!!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Fri May 01, 2009 12:42 am

In light of recent events taking up loads of our playtime, we are extending the first deadline to MONDAY, MAY 4.
That is indeed, this next Monday, so get on with it whoever wants to submit and hasn't yet.
Last edited by Erendis on Fri May 01, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Beraton » Fri May 01, 2009 8:36 am

May the fourth be with you!

*ducks*
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Mori » Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Please to be indicating when you will be passing out your mighty Rays of Judgment upon our pathetic contributions.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Sat May 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Soon, very soon.

Be patient, young grasshopper.

(Erendis will post the results sometime this weekend.)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Sun May 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Okay, results are in!

But first let's take a look at all the submissions, because I greatly enjoy suspense.

We marked the images on a scale from 1-10 for three categories:

- Background likeness;
- Character likeness;
- Composition
(how fancy/artistic/nice/shiny/etc it was);

plus Flaws (jarring things about the image) and Extras (bonus details).
All contestant picked the same theme (recreation of an scene non-GW) so their overall score already has the +3 points added.
If anyone wants to see the score tables, I'll be happy to provide them on a later post.

(thumbnails are clickable for full view)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Klokwurk

Only submission: Image

I give you... Arnie melting himself in the foundry in Terminator 2.
~Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Judge 1: Finding a suitable fiery location to pull this one off was going to be one of the major problems. Some place with a more machine-like feel would have been appropriate; although finding a place like that which has lava is tricky (the last quest of Sorrows Furnace comes to mind, with added burning but no lava). Overall, when it comes to background, I think it’s the better part of the image.
When it comes to character similarity, I don’t see much there – maybe dressing in some warrior armour bits would have helped? Still, it’s not a bad screenshot, in the “The deadline is 20 mins from now, what do I dooooo!” category.

Judge 2: It was a good, classic scene but there was definitely more you could've done with it. The background is a little plain as it is. You're missing a few things that would've helped make the likeness to the original scene more obvious, like chains or background machinery! A place like Oola's Lab or a certain area in Sorrow's Furnace come to mind. Also, Arnie was definitely not naked in the T2 ending, even if male GW warriors have his physique. ;)

SCORE: 29

OVERALL SCORE: 32

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beraton

First submission: Image

I'm sure you're both familiar with this scene. Elrond telling Isildur to cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom and Isildur telling him to get stuffed.. Yes, the hair colours/lengths aren't right. But the lighting, lava and poses seem to suit it!
~The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Judge 1: Good location, don’t think a better one could have been found in-game. The characters don’t look like the ones they’re emulating, by way of dressing and by physical look, and it looks more like the furthest-away character is going to fall into the lava rather than anything else, but one can see the scene there. Nice ambience.

Judge 2: The background is suitable for the scene indeed, but the characters' likeness needed more work, I think. The guild cape being so visible is something else that bothered me, and while I admit that Elrond had a blueish cape in the original, the cape here is distracting from the overall effect. Still, it was a good effort!

SCORE: 36

Second submission: Image

"No - *I* am your father."
~Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Judge 1: This, uh, erm, what?

Judge 2: I get this one was tongue-in-cheek/humorous/etc, but there's not really much I can give you points for. No background likeness, no character likeness, etc. So it's good for a smile but not what we were looking for in this contest. Sorry!

SCORE: 7

OVERALL SCORE: 46

Kivan

Kivanna Stoneskin plays Ursula Andress in one of the most memorable film scenes of all time, from that Bond film where she came out of the sea and Bond made some witty quip about her tits or something. In the film she came out with a shell, which I tried to recreate with a conch shield, but it looked a bit daft, plus I saw a promo-image without the shell and thought 'sod it'.
~Dr. No (1962)

Judge 1: (no comment due lack of time)

Judge 2: Good idea, but rather poor production. While an elementalist is a good choice, you could've crafted a char that had more than a vague likeness to Ms Andress. I like simple, but this shot hasn't got much going for it.

SCORE: 33

Image 2 recreates the Phantom of the Opera. The Phantom (Kivan) has kidnapped Christine (Gwen) in his secret underground batcave 'cause he loves her and she loves Viscount Biscuitface (probably played by Rhay). Note the white-dyed highlander woad to represent the Phantoms mask and the black Deldrimor coat to represent the actual Deldrimor coat worn in the film.
~The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

Judge 1: I’m a sucker for Phantom of the Opera, and I laughed out loud when I read your description of this scene. That gave you bonus points, especially “The Phantom (Kivan) has kidnapped Christine (Gwen) in his secret underground batcave 'cause he loves her and she loves Viscount Biscuitface (probably played by Rhay).” Shame that your Phantom is a blondie. This one would have rated higher if you’d gotten another person to go with you and play Christine. As it is, it got a nice score based on how artistic it looks, and how similar the background is – really nice find. And yes, the bonus points for the description. :D

Judge 2: Think you nailed this one, despite some minor flaws in character likeness. And if it needed anything to make me like it, the written description alone would've done it. The background fits, the emoting fits (even if you could've benefited from a human Christine) and the angle works. Good thinking!

SCORE: 44

OVERALL SCORE: 80

Mori

"You... cannot... pass!"
[The Balrog strikes down on Gandalf, who parries the blow with his blade, shattering the Balrog's sword. Glowing embers run off the circle of light around the wizard ... ]
~The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Judge 1: That was a good choice of location and likeness of both characters. I was surprised Muppet’s ele wasn’t used more in the competition, to be frank. Getting a screenshot with a foe is not easy, so one has to respect that.

Judge 2: I understand involving foes in a screenshot would be complicated, but something about the placing of the two characters doesn't really work here for me. It's still a very good idea and you did pretty good with it.

SCORE: 38

"Do you like sweets, Kusanagi?"
~X (1996)

Judge 2: The background here works well enough and the character likeness is near perfect. The only big problem I see is that it's such an unramarkable scene that while the composition is good there's nothing very interesting about it in terms of action (even in the original). Good job of reimagining it, but the scene choice is a bit flat.

SCORE: 44

OVERALL SCORE: 85

Rhay

"Look Simba! Everything the light touches, is our kingdom!"
~The Lion King (1994)

Judge 2: I love this shot. The idea is genius and I'm sure it must've taken quite a few tries to get the pets in the right position. It looks great and the only flaw I can find on it is that res shrine which is a bit too visible and ruins the illusion a bit. Good job!

SCORE: 52

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to DIE!!"

~Goldfinger (1964)

Judge 2: It seems that you had to work against certain limitations here while constructing the scene (pvp setting, capes, etc), so that makes this scene not work as well as it could. Still, the essence is there and it looks very good. Nicely done.

SCORE: 37

OVERALL SCORE: 92

In short, congratulations to

~Rhay
~Mori

and
~Kivan

for making it to Round 2!!!

The themes for Round 2 will be announced on Tuesday, May 12.

(If there are any glaring errors or things you'd like to complain about, please don't.)
Now get out.

Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Sun May 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Goddamn, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't :P Hopefully the new themes will be a little more inspirational for me though.

Kiv, really like your phantom of the opera one - I think it deserved a better score than my crappy X scene at the very least.

Now that we know what criteria they're being marked on, that should make the next round seriously competitive.. eek!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm

If there had been a category for descriptions, Kiv's entries would have scored over the roof. ;)

I have to say his Phantom of the Opera one was probably my favourite of the lot but, int he categories we were judging, it suffered a little bit. I loved the composition for it, and it pained me not to make it an instant win. :(

But hey, gotta judge as unbiased as possible...

Sorry I didn't have time to comment each submission, especially to Rhay. I'll post something on those images after classes. :)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Mon May 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Well done guys, some good stuff in there.
I liked Bera's ring shot (ooer)
Loved Rhay's lions, very clever.
I don't know much about Phantom, so afraid Kiv's genious is a little lost on me this time (I did laugh at his descriptions too), though the pic is clearly clever.
Mori - so glad the time we spent trying to get that giant git to stand in the right spot paid off!

And Klok - don't let them harsh judges get ya down. Remember you scored lots more than I did, so technically you were not last! :)
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Varda » Tue May 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Welcome to ROUND 2!

Your theme for this round will be Emotions. So get your Prtsc key ready once more, as you go out there and convey your characters feelings and emotions in the most explicit manner possible!

All entries will be judged based on how accurate the emotion portrait is, and how generally artistic the composition of the shot is.

Show us love or show us hate; happiness, sadness, confusion, panic! Anything goes as long as it’s an emotion and you can portray it!

Rules:

You are free to choose the settings, amount of characters involved, etc, appearing in your screenshot.

You need to offer a very brief written explanation of what emotion you tried to portray in your screenshot to help us judge it.

You have until midnight GMT May 26th to submit your screenshot.

Only one screenshot per participant will be accepted, so be creative and strife for perfection!

You may crop your original screenshot however you see fit before submitting it to us;

You may not alter or edit your screenshot in any way beyond cropping;

All entries must be .jpg, .bmp or .png in format

Here are some examples (these are merely illustrative)-

Do’s:

Image Image

DON’T(s)

Image – Even by calling it “Lust”

Image – Though that may be happiness and innocence, it doesn’t take any effort from you. So no!

So basically, be creative, be artistic, and surprise us all! This is the last round, make it count!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Varda » Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 pm

The deadline has been extended until Sunday, 31st of May.

Go get some screenshots, you lot!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Tue May 26, 2009 3:50 pm

thank you. that should give me enough time to take a screenie.
sadly as many of you know my pc broke and i was able to use a borrowed pc for these last few days.
currently i have 0 pcs on my house and thus 0 access to GW. i called the pc workshop and they said the pc should be ready by friday, so i should be able to meet the deadline. im being forced to travel to my uni just to get my internet daily fix ( and to get some work done aswell, of course xD )
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:50 pm

Results are in... again!

This time we only had a sole submitter, due to various technical troubles and varying degrees of busyness. So here's Kivan's entry:

Attached is my second stage competition entry, where I have tried to portray two polar opposite emotions (yeah, you heard me) loneliness and the opposite of that which I'm told is togetherness. Kivan Darkmist stands in the desert which, to everyone except Rhay, is a desolate and empty place. He stares at the infinite sands under the harsh glare of an unforgiving sun and stands alone (hence the loneliness, folks). But he has company, while not a travelling companion in the conventional sence, his pet offers unquestioning loyalty and devotion (togetherness). Inspired by a WW2 story entitled 'we stand alone together'.
    Kivan Darkmist is also pissed off because he's a mule character and I never play him, which is a bonus third emotion in the event of a tiebreak.

We'd comment further on the loveliness of the shot and his ever-amusing writeup, but we see no point seeing as Kivan is the default WINNER of our Screenshot Competition and thus entitled to choose from the three offered prizes, to wit:

~ 500 unID golds
~ 11 Destroyer Weapons
~ 100 Lockpicks

Runner up Rhay will get to pick a second place prize after Kivan has had his pick, given that he had the most points from Round 1. Mori will receive third place and be awarded after Rhay and Kivan have picked.

Congrats, Kiv! We appreciate you submitting for the second round specially and the care and thought you put into all of your entries. Contact us by PM or in-game so we can deliver the prize of your choice!

Thanks everyone else for supporting the contest and going to great efforts to submit and keep us amused. :D

~Varda & Erendis
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 am

I'd like to apologise for being useless about making an entry in both rounds, and congratulate Kiv on his well-deserved win! Also, thanks to our excessively generous hostesses for providing utterly ridiculous prizes worthy of a much bigger competition than we mustered here.

I may yet submit a screenshot out of guilt, but it won't be until I have the time to play regularly again.. :(
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:44 pm

*guilt trips mori some more*

Rhay was unable to participate because his computer went KABOOM, or something like that, for anyone who didn't know.

Just waiting for kiv to decide his prize, now...
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:13 pm

I think Mori should submit a screenshot that represents guilt.

Difficult decision! Will the goldies be pretty pretty? Do I have the storage space (no).
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Does ANYONE have the storage space (no.)

I guess it will be a case of dealing with 30 or 40 at a time over the course of a couple of weeks :P
Mori
Organisational god

Next

Return to Ruins of Surmia