Treasure Hunt!

GW1 discussion

Treasure Hunt!

Postby Varda » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:06 am

Hello, lovelies. Did you think we had forgotten you? Dd you think we had run out of ways to torture you for our own amusement?

By Grenth's curly horns, of course not! So we bring you a fantastic new competition, that is garanteed* to make your head spin and your computer groan out in frustration.

*or your money back. void where prohibited. do not expose to sunlight. always wear sunscreen.

This competition is composed of different types of activities. The winner will be whoever has the most points at the end of the activities. We have tried to balance the difficulty of the assignments, so that every participant has a fair opportunity to score well. If you feel a task’s difficulty isn’t up to par with its reward, let us know and we’ll ponder adjusting it. The competition will run for 2 weeks. You must submit your participation until 23:59 GMT on saturday 25th of July. You may submit your participation via PM to Varda, or via email to wandereroflight at gmail dot com

So, what’s in it for you?
We’re keeping it simple this time. The winner will receive 500 platinum of in-game currency. That’s all. If there are ties, the prize will be split evenly between the tied participants.

1- Locate and take a screenshot of the following locations (8 locations, 5 points each)

2- Retrieve a full set of non-starter armor, excluding the headpiece, using collectors alone. You must take a screenshot of each collector to prove you were there and provide a screenshot of your character wearing the full armor. Non-starter armour means no armour from pre-searing, istan or shing jea. – 40 points

3- Lore (or wiki) time! Answer the following questions

No one knows whence it came, but it spread like wildfire. It struck old and young alike, killing without remorse. The corpses of its victims showed signs of great pain, and accounts of the time speak of boils and insects that crawl out of them. What was it? (5 points)

Your actions as a young student at the Monastery threatened a fragile peace between which two races? (5 points)

"I've crushed bugs far bigger than you Togo.", is a battle quote from which enemy? (8 points)

Gwen was held prisoner by the char when she was a child. In which area (around Old-Ascalon) was she held prisoner before being moved to Charr-lands? (8 points)

Which other famous GW NPC, who did not survive long after the searing, haunts the area? (5 points)

Vizier Khilbron cast the forbidden spell that led to Orr being sunk into the ocean. There was one, however, who manipulated the Vizier and was behind his knowledge of that spell. That person/being was controlled by a more powerful entity. Name the two beings hinted at (4 points each). For an additional 8 points, specify the name of the city that the more powerful entity wanted destroyed.

By the time Flight to the North (quest) happens, there have been two changes from the original Gods’ pantheon. One of those took place only a few years prior to the events in the quest, and the other took place a much longer time before – so long ago that none now living have knowledge of it. Name the two gods who were deposed. (4 points each).

Name the second to last King of Orr? (2 points)

4- The Sea of Sorrow was once known as the Bay of Sirens, before the cataclysm that sunk most of the Orrian Peninsula. Using your creativity imagine and write, in 200 words or less, why it was known by that name. – 15 points

5- Name that NPC (5 points each)

6 – Let’s see how good you are with art. For this task, create a guild-wars themed artistic piece reminiscing of any of the given seasons (Spring, summer, autumn, winter). You may submit an altered game screenshot (photoshopped, edited in paint, whatever) or your own original gw and season related artwork. (20 points)

7- Come up with an idea for another competition. (8 points)

That's it, folks. Simply try to answer/fufill as many of the challenges as you can, and have fun! You may use any and all resources at your disposal. Any questions can be posted on this topic, as well as any and all comments. I advise against posting the actual answers on topic, because otherwise everyone will know them. You are not discouraged from discussing it with other people, though, if you think that is benefitial. The way in which you complete each assignement is entirely up to you.

Enjoy!

PS- You will not be judged on how good the artwork is, how well you write or answers nor on how much you say I'm awesome and wonderful. ;) Simply fufilling a prompt is quite enough, so don't let any perceived lack of artistic talent stump you!
Last edited by Varda on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:34 am

YAY! competition!

cant wait to get started! this is what i was hoping for, a competition with gw lore related stuff. it doesnt sound too hard either. and the different type of tasks is great to keep you going and test various kinds of knowledge about the game.

boy am i glad i read all that lore a few weeks ago!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks for the input, Rhay, glad you like the competition. ^^

I've made two edits to the original post, to clarify some things.

1) Non-starter armour means any armour EXCEPT the one you can get in pre-searing ascalon, in Istan and in Shing Jea.

You don't have to stick to only one style of armour, it is fine if you get a piece in one continent and another in another continent. All it needs to be is gotten from a collector.

2) One of the lore questions (4th) was incorrectly worded and was edited. Please re-read the question now.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Well, this looks like summat to think about.
Places I recognise - though just the region in 1 case.
NPCs I recognise just 1
Lore - I know nothing! :oops:
Might have to use my brain a bit. In GW. Whatever next :o
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:43 pm

npcs are a given. i know where they all are :D
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:00 pm

/catchbreath

Phew, only the writing bit and the art bit missing... that will occupy me until the deadline. D:

Also, as a clarification, I'm participating on this one and not behind the evil scheming. It's all Varda this time!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Beraton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 pm

All I've got left to do is... figure out another competition D:

Also, I have a question: Are the points discrete or continuous? Does a barebones entry (for the art/writing) score the same as an excessively detailed and meticulous entry?
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Same points, otherwise I'd need to have someone else judging the entries with me. :(

So yes, your half-assed effort will give you the same points as eri's self-agonizing over the perfect composition and plot. ;)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Beraton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:32 pm

\o/

I don't think my attempts are THAT half-assed. But if it did make a difference, I'd put more work into them! :D
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Of course the entries WILL be posted, so it might be a good idea not to go "Lolz, cause there were sirens there!" <.<
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 am

Varda wrote:Of course the entries WILL be posted, so it might be a good idea not to go "Lolz, cause there were sirens there!" <.<

damn, how did you read mine ahead of time?? D:
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Just a friendly reminder that the deadline is aproaching. Don't forget to send your submissions before the end of Saturday!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Varda » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:10 am

The competition is now officially over. Thank you everyone who entered (all three of you). The results will be out soon.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:19 am

:cry:
I intended to finish this yesterday, but was unwell and completely forgot. Didn't log on to the PC at all yesterday. (The painkillers are helping today, so here I am trying to take my mind off it)
I knew I would not be winning, but wanted to take part and had still spent time trying to find the stuff.

<edit>Sent ya a PM with what I had as of yesterday, just to reassure you that you had another person joining in.</edit>
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 am

it was a lot of fun participating. but in the end i ran out of time. an unexpected event forced me out of my house for the whole day so i didnt have time to do a decent photoshop. had to use a friends pc to send my submition.
im really unhappy, the photoshop image didnt turn out like i wanted to at all :( wouldnt be surprised if anya didnt consider it.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Beraton » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Eep! Sorry to hear you've not been well Muppet! Hope things get better quickly!

Rhay, my submission wasn't edited heavily. All I did was adjust the colour curves a bit and blur the highlights to give a lovey-dovey ^_^ springtime feeling. Chances are if Anya doesn't consider yours, mine will merely be laughed at. :p
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:23 pm

No submission was laughed at, you can be sure of that. :)
~

Thank you for sending me the PM, Muppet. Was really nice of you! Hope you're feeling much better by now, and that whatever it was doesn't get you again.

I'll only be able to go through the submissions in full when I'm home again, which should happen around tuesday. Look for the results to be posted sometime tuesday evening!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:48 am

well, at least we can talk freely about the competition now :P

what did you think was the most difficult part of the competition?
to me was finding the 5th area in the first task. im telling you it took me nearly 3 hours to find it. although it was also my favourite part of the competition. i really learned a lot about the area.
and my initial story about the bay of sirens had over 500 words. ended up cutting it up like crazy trying to maintain the core story D:
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Well I got home earlier, so I can post the results earlier as well!

Three people submitted the answers in a timely fashion: Daltana was the first to submit, followed by Erendis and Rhay. Muppet submitted after the deadline, like he explained on the topic here. :)

Well, all three who submited the answers on time got everything right! Since you've already seen my screenshots, I'll provide only those things that difer between each participant. ^^

(If you guys want, you can post your screenshots. :) )

First up, collectors armor!

Daltana's went for a full elementalist set:

Erendis' took the chance to give Aki another pretty set of armour:

Rhay went for a simple chainmail getup, so very different form his usual choice of armor.

Muppet joined in on the fun as well, and even though he didn't make it on time, it's worth noting it!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/ ... Armor5.jpg

(I'm not sure if the wiki allows direct-linking, so I won't put it in an IMG format.)

No one knows whence it came, but it spread like wildfire. It struck old and young alike, killing without remorse. The corpses of its victims showed signs of great pain, and accounts of the time speak of boils and insects that crawl out of them. What was it? Scarab Plague

The Scarab Plague haunted Elona, and the details of its sympthoms can be found in a series of quests in Istan (available for Nightfall characters only). Well done!

Your actions as a young student at the Monastery threatened a fragile peace between which two races? Humans and Tengu . This is part of the Assassin's quest line in Shing Jea, where the young student kills Swift Honorclaw. Everyone got this one right!

"I've crushed bugs far bigger than you Togo.", is a battle quote from which enemy? Yuri the Hand, in the Bonus Pack Mission of Togo's story.

Gwen was held prisoner by the char when she was a child. In which area (around Old-Ascalon) was she held prisoner before being moved to Charr-lands? Diessa Lowlands

Which other famous GW NPC, who did not survive long after the searing, haunts the area? Lady Althea

Vizier Khilbron cast the forbidden spell that led to Orr being sunk into the ocean. There was one, however, who manipulated the Vizier and was behind his knowledge of that spell. That person/being was controlled by a more powerful entity. Name the two beings hinted at (4 points each). For an additional 8 points, specify the name of the city that the more powerful entity wanted destroyed.
The person/being: Terick/Razakel. The more powerful being: Abaddon. The city: Arah.

And why? Arah was home to the gods while they shaped Tyria. Even thoguh the gods have long since left the world, Abaddon wanted to destroy that symbolic place.
Yes, this one was meant to be obscure. :D You only learn of Terick's involvement in the whole mess in a quest chain in the Realm of Torment, where he pulls a Vani on the players and tries to eat them. Really lovely chap.

By the time Flight to the North (quest) happens, there have been two changes from the original Gods’ pantheon. One of those took place only a few years prior to the events in the quest, and the other took place a much longer time before – so long ago that none now living have knowledge of it. Name the two gods who were deposed. Abaddon and Dhuum. Abaddon's place is taken by Kormir, and Dhuum's place was taken by Grenth (who is not considered, by some, as a true god)

Name the second to last King of Orr? King Zoran

And now, for creativity. I asked you to write why the Sea of Sorrows had that name, in your opinion.

Daltana wrote:

The Bay of Sirens was so called for two reasons. Firstly, the religious chanting from the Holy city of Arah would occasionally drift over the bay, giving the eerie impression of the sirens' song. Secondly, the predominant wind through the bay was from the southwest, making escape from the bay difficult for the untrained sailor. Though obviously not impossible, judging by the importance of Lion's Arch to international trade.

Erendis went on a slightly different route than I expected. She wrote... Haikus!

Flick of tail
Over the horizon,
A serpent vanishes.

Roamed the sea
Long before
Humans came to shore.

Sunk in sorrow,
Echoes remain
Of sirens long forgotten.

And Rhay presents us with an heroic tale of... greed? YOu have to read it to believe it.

There was once a young and handsome prince! Do not be fooled though, he wasn’t a hero. Though brave and strong, he was spoiled and selfish. Money and power were everything!
Once a month, you could hear a song that came from the sea. The song was beautiful, but deadly! Whoever heard the song would be consumed by madness, obsessed of setting out to sea, but none ever returned. Sailors that escaped the effect told tales of treasures lost in an island.
Such greed had the prince that he set out to sea to solve the mystery.
He came across an island. Here, lived the sirens. Upon first sight, the prince fell in love with their beauty and voice. At the centre was a treasure chest! The treasure his heart had always longed for!
With a swift move he stole the treasure! They were deceived! In the end, they only relied on their charms for defence, luring the others accidentally. But his greed was too great!
They begged him to reconsider. Their purpose was to guard the treasure. Without it, they would disappear.
Thus the prince decided to name the sea after them, so that they would be remembered.

Name the NPC:

1 - Ahnduriz Bohim
2 - Jahk Kihngah
3 - Tohneh Jonesh
4 - Old Joness
5 - Sao

And now, for the artwork:

Daltana submited this airy piece:

Erendis went for a springy look as well

Rhay decided to make things a bit hotter, with this summery piece:

(Does anyone else notice a slight trend in these? :P )

And in the end, they each submitted ideas for a competition.

Daltana:

A colaborative effort! Each person involved is assigned a question and the others have to bring him/her the answer. Easiest to explain with an example. The question assigned to Eri could be "You need this to commit suicide."the answer is naturally a FDS. So what people do is bring her a FDS. Then she registers that they've answered it and gives them some item to "prove" it (though we're all honest in the guild). Once someone has answered the questions and received the confirmation item, they PM the person running the competition (to give an absolute answer on who's first) and provide a trade with all the necessary items in it. Alternatively, each person could merely confirm their answer, leaving it to the other competitors to locate the necessary item (such as a FDS) and present them to the coordinator as proof that they have it. But still going by PM, otherwise it could give someone an unfair advantage, such as seeing you on IRC and saying "hay, log in and I'll show you the prizes! ^^"

Erendis:
A true Scavenger Hunt that works as follows: each player is given a list of 7 (or more) items to retrieve from all over the three continents (pieces of armour, collectibles, consumables, etc). The first player to make it back to you and open trade with all the items wins the offered reward. It would all take place in the space of an hour or so and the rewards should be smaller.

Other random ideas: players need to put together a build (either solo or plus 3 heroes) to do the most damage they can to the Master of Damage at the Isle of the Nameless (with screenshots for proof). The most creative build/the most damaging build gets the reward.

Rhay:
A race! choose a circuit like the isle of the nameless or the zaishen menagerie or perhaps even an area with foes. have people race from one point to the other, perhaps set up checkpoints in the middle. strategy would be left to what skills to bring not only to run faster, but to counter whatever skills could be used against the participants. and also the superior "driving" skills!

Muppet suggested more treasure hunts and more character develpopment. certainly something to keep in mind!
-----------------------------------

As stated in the contest rules, in case of a tie the prize money gets evenly split between all participants. Since 500k divided by three people gives the strange number of 166.66(6) I'm rounding it up to 170k per person. Hope you guys enjoy!

It's a shame Muppet wasn't able to finish everything. :( Alas, three out of 4 isn't bad, and I honestly thought people would have a harder time than they did. What did you think of the difficulty of the competition?
Last edited by Varda on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Beraton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Awesome. It was a really fun competition to do. And I'd say the difficulty was just about right. Slightly shy of the "Oh, to hell with this" limit.
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Erendis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 pm

I had fun with all the tasks and was glad that the screenshots weren't any harder. If I hadn't figured out Anya took that second Maguuma shot on the way to Old Joness I would've killed myself before running all over that damned jungle. :P

Grats to Rhay and Bera as well! I'm sure we'll find SOME use for this extra money...
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Rhayader » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 pm

that damn spot in majesty's rest!
took me ages to find it!
at least im now an expert in recognising the different types of soil and vegetation in the maguuma jungle! i stared at the pic for so long looking for clues...

and btw, my story was suposed to have a different ending. in the end, the prince was suposed to learn a lesson as he fell in love for the first time.but the word limit was so short i had to cut it down and turn it into a simple story of a greey rich man, that got even richer xD

the maguuma shot was tricky aswell actually. my first guess was the falls area. thankfully i went to check if old joness was the npc for the other task and accidentaly found the required area for the screenshot! talk about lucky.
Last edited by Rhayader on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Tenevora/her 600 armour was the clue! ;D
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 pm

To be honest, I was just too lazy to go to the spot again, myself, as Varda. Hence that one slipped in. ;(

Edkit: Muppet, there's something for you as well, whenever you feel good enough to log in again. ^^
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Return to Ruins of Surmia