GW2 Trailer

GW1 discussion

GW2 Trailer

Postby Erendis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 am

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/#hd-video

It is big and shiny and things... but it's still just a lot of pretty and shiny animated art. :P

Opening this at Rhay's request, so he can squee about it properly!
Last edited by Erendis on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Erendis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:53 am

Screenshots, because I felt like it.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Rhayader » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

lets talk about the trailer! watch it in HD if you can.

well, first thing i noticed, they changed the dragon's name! either that, or Primordus is no longer the first dragon to awaken (the one at the central chamber).

saw some decent turtles swimming, maybe we'll get a chance to swimm with the turtles aswell.

at around 1.22 you can see a stone dwarf. that eye patch fella will probably play a major role in the lore. they seem to call the orr undead army "The Tide", and it seems to be composed of other stuff beyond humanoid creatures.

1.43 - I love this shot.

1.47 - seems to show a silvary, we've seen that pic before. and at 1.52 we see an asura controlling golems. these 2 make me believe that there will be perhaps a greater focus on summons, perhaps a whole different class dedicated to it.
if you notice at 1.52 aswell, they changed the asura's eyes like i thought they would. they have colours now. its better but still...

1.57 might be the biggest disappointment in the trailer for me. you see a charr with a bullet belt and a stick with bolts which could be a rifle. guns in gw? hmm... im not sure...

2.08 "it is time legends become real" is that the EOTN? did the climate change enough so that its not in the middle of the snow anymore? i kinda doubt it

2.15 - Day/Night cycle! yay!

2.21 - deers and cranes!

2.28 dunno wth that is. there are people near it though.

2.31 second disappointment. the character model looks weak. the hair is terrible, the armor unimpressive. the water doesnt look all that good either. at least he isnt using a shield, thats a good thing. 2 handed swords ftw. although his is sword is kinda rusty...

2.34 those 3 guys going down the stairs, the one on the left seems to be carrying a small hammer. perhaps too small to be a hammer, i cant tell. the other 2 guys are using the same shoulder pads and gauntlets. but not the same torso armor. this might mean that shoulder pads will be a seperate equipment slot. i saw a small flicker of flame on the guy on the right. dunno what that is.

2.40 they show a lot of people running and jumping around in the trailer. jumping = good!

2.50 :O impressive! if you look carefully to the right side you see a small energy current of some sort. what do you supose this place is?

3.01 asuras have smaller ears now. they still dont look cute at all! what are they thinking? the ones running (the other are probably npcs) all have the same device on their right wrist.

3.15 lots of norns here, probably the main norn city. reminds me a bit of dwarven arquitecture. with all the sails and stuff. seems like its sitting on a giant iceberg. and all the sails suggest that it might be able to move. whats your opinion? all the norns are in bear form.

3.34 maguuma jungle. some creatures above on the trees. what are those?

3.38 a main charr city. its a lot more industril than i thought. they might be going with a whole steampunk feel to the charrs.
3.44 charrs running with shields on their backs. perhaps you'll be able to run around without having your weapons out all the time.

3.51 oily dragon that you can walk into?
3.55 no idea what these ruins might be. what are your thoughts? it has naga though.

4.10 people in red. that looks like a female mesmer up there.
the charr looks nice. is he drooling?? silvary are a bit disappointing...

4.18 its perhaps the undead spirits that reside in ascalon.

when the images start to flicker i can see centaurs and new different types of wurms, among a bunch of other things
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Awesome job with the screenshots ery. thank you.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Klokwurk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Funky!

Rhayader wrote:they seem to call the orr undead army "The Tide"

That's just a figure of speech. :3
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Infinity » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Rhayader wrote:well, first thing i noticed, they changed the dragon's name! either that, or Primordus is no longer the first dragon to awaken (the one at the central chamber).

Didn't think they mentioned which dragon woke first, they just focused on one particular dragon.

Also, Sylvari look shit.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Beraton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Wow. Just wow. Should be fascinating seeing more of this.

I particularly liked the sylvari skill turning the monster into plants. Unsure about some of the art styles. Particularly for human and Sylvari.

Day/night cycle. o_O Fighting enemies at night will be mental.

Really liked the (floating?) Asura city. Crazy stuff there.

Whee!
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:13 pm

The Silvari do look rather bad in the in-game shots. Not at all like I imagined them based on the concept art. However it's possible that a few things will be updated for release... The game isn't even in beta yet, there«s hope. Also it looked to me like the Asura all had the same face, even though the ones currently in gw all have very distinctive faces. So that could be just due to a lack of models at the moment.

The armours continue to be impractical, I see. ;)

What in the blazes is that city full of floating ships? Whatever it is, I want to go there. It looks beautiful! Also I noticed that they used glasses (there's a glass-covered bridge/thing ingame in the trailer) which is awesome. (Don't mind me)

Did you see all the artwork at the end?

In case you missed it with all the fast blinking, here's some screencaps:

(Apologies for the bar in the lower bit, I don't know how to get screenshots directly from windows media player, and vlc is unable to "seek" the video correctly)

(If that one's in game, we'll have centaurs! I love centaurs. Why couldn't we have centaurs instead of bloody useless Asura? :( )

(That's primordus, Rhay. At least I think so. The dragon at the trailer start is the Orrian one, I imagine.)

Whew.

*collapses*
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:24 pm

i think they did mention that primordus was the firt one to awaken. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

im really curious to see the world change from day to night. hopefully they will also introduce other enviroment effects. rain would be awesome. we've had it in gw1 but always in the same specific areas. would be nice to see something more dynamic.

great job with the screenshots anya. i had to pause while watching the video to see them all.
impractical armors are ftw! the shinier the better. the warrior ones look terrible. i hope thats an npc with a plate on his chest :(

i also agree that the asuras dont look as good as they could. ok, they changed the eyes like i hoped. but i was expecting a more "cute" design so that they'd be more appealing. im more disappointed with the silvary though :( they look short! i was hoping for them to be elegant and tall, instead we get brats with pointy ends.

well, at least klok should enjoy the new steampunk feel of the charrs. how do you feel about a possible introduction of guns?

Edit: some people replied to my coment on kotaku. some dude said:
"Primordius was only starting to awaken some 250 years before GW2. The dragon in Orr awakens 150 after Primordius. That is a major detail, something I don't think Anet would change.

"The Movement of the World" mention nothing of Primordius actually beginning his reign of terror right after awakening. He could have easily bid his time, re-gathering his army and his power."

that is correct. they mention that zhaitan awakened 100years ago.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Was good to see this come out and re-spark some interest.
I think they did a good trick in starting with animated drawings and then morphing into (what I assume though isn't stated) in-game graphics - makes for a nice wow moment.
Nearly time to buy that new PC then :o

Looks like the Centaurs are baddies Anya, going by the art and by the shot with them shooting arrows into a big Nornbear looking thing (with wings!)

Asura look even weirder, wonder how they will end up.

Was suprised that I didn't really notice a Sylvari. Was expecting a look that would be distinctiver, like an Asuran or Charr or Norn has. All I got from this was a pale looking human possibly wearing leaves :(

An aint the Charr got big!

Lots of questions opened up by this, so lots of discussion will be seen no doubt. But then that't the whole point innit ;)

Overall - worked for me. Am looking forward to it again.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Varda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 pm

I think guns in guild wars is silly. It makes rangers obsolete, for one, unless they have huge limitations. If they don't and guns are the new bows, that will very much SUCK.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Have ya read the IGN article.
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015971p1.html
I think it makes it clear that the Charr have guns :/

The events thing sounds good though.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Mori » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 pm

I guess I'm the only one who likes the new Asura look then.

I don't think they're meant to be cute - just alien and somehow imposing in spite of their miniature size. They've managed that well imo, whereas in GW1 they just looked ridiculous.

Sylvari yeah, have to reserve judgment on those, but bear in mind that they are a new race, innocent in the ways of the world. So I think a smaller, more ethereal, vulnerable look fits them better than traditional "elvish"ness. I'd be disappointed if we were given a hoary old elf-clone stereotype, so I'm glad they've steered slightly away from it.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a link to the Eurogamer article either:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guild ... -preview_4
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:11 am

The Asura have always been hateful, ugly little bastards as far as I'm concerned. When they show their sharp, pointy teeth in GW1 they kind of remind me of evil gremlins. So I'm not bothered about them not looking cute.

From the trailer, the character models and animations don't look too removed from what we have now (excluding Muppet and his crappy graphics card). But ANet have said it will be prettied up further before release.

I was expecting more from the Sylvari, at the moment they just look like humans with green skin (but with more emo).

I also read a quote which referenced 'races playable upon release' which makes me think expansions are going to open up more playable races this time (dwarves, centaurs?)

As the norn are playable I would expect this whole 'shapeshifting' lark to play maybe the same as dervish forms. Which may mean we can turn into say, a bear, a wolf, a raven...? This is just guesswork tho. [Edit - Ana's screenies, third from the bottom, is that a centaur fighting a spirit-of-the-raven do you think?]

Not too concerned with firearms, I stand there doing 10 damage with a staff, i stand there doing 10 damage with a musket, doesn't make a lot of difference. There needs to be a counterpoint to the Asura with their future tech. I would have thought it would have been a dwarven thing tho, as they already have gunpowder. Even an industrious human thing; not sure how industrialisation works lore-wise with the Charr.

Looking forward to the events system. Also I read that each race has a different beginning to the story before the races decide to work together, which may add replayability. Mainly looking forward to a whole new Guild Wars to play!

The main thing that does concern me tho:

Charr are massive! And is that a Norn? She's tiny!
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Rhayader » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:58 pm

most likely each race will have its own "pre-searing" tutorial era which opens up to the rest of the world once that race decides to join forces with the others.

i agree that the character models dont look all that different, though the movement looks a lot more fluid. i think it helps in maintaining the same overall feel from gw1. though i must admit i was expecting something better in that aspect.

i think that showing a norn transform into something other than a bear would be something really cool to put on the trailer.

im curious to see more of the charr now, and whatever new weapons they plan on bringing with all the new technology.

cant wait to see some real gameplay showing some UI, how the character moves, targeting, combat, etc. but maybe its still too early for that.

edit: after reading the article i really believe kiv is on to something. they will definitely release new races with other expansions.
also, they say the norn also worship the snow leopard! was that in gw1 aswell? or did they decide to add it now?

"I think I can safely say that you won't see a single exclamation mark floating above a character's head in Guild Wars 2," claims lead designer Eric Flannum.
not so sure i like that events are replacing quests... i love quests!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Infinity wrote:The Asura have always been hateful, ugly little bastards as far as I'm concerned. When they show their sharp, pointy teeth in GW1 they kind of remind me of evil gremlins. So I'm not bothered about them not looking cute.

Amen. They need a personality makeover much more than they need a looks one - the looks fit perfectly with their stupid superiority complex. I'm sad we cna't just exterminate them.

Infinity wrote:I was expecting more from the Sylvari, at the moment they just look like humans with green skin (but with more emo).

They don't look very human-ish, but I don't like their looks either. They're just... Weird. I know they aren't meant to be elves, and I'm glad for that. I know they're going for the sprite/fairy look, but that's not quite what's shown either.... The only positive thing I can say is that they do look like plant people.... :/

Infinity wrote: I would have thought it would have been a dwarven thing tho, as they already have gunpowder. Even an industrious human thing; not sure how industrialisation works lore-wise with the Charr.

We were discussing this on irc last night. I don't see how tech-savvy suddenly fits the charr. Ok, so they turned away from their shamanistic ways, but thier core personality can't have changed that much - they're basically creatures who enjoy roaming the wilds, the thrill of hunt, and fighting. It's ahrd to imagine a charr staying quiet long enough to read a book, or build a furnace. They clearly inherited the Dwarves' "role" so to speak. Sure humans have Fire Oil (Istan) bombardment (siege turtles, luxon) but the more prominent use of explosive powder is done by the dwarves in GW1. They're also the original creators of Golems (before anyone even imagined the Asura) and had the huge Sorrow's Furnace working. If it wasn't for their convinient Death Ex Machina in EotN, they'd be well suited to expanding their technology into what the charr seem to have. Since they won't be around, I guess the devs decided to transfer it, but it doens't make much logic lore-wise, at the moment.

Infinity wrote:

Charr are massive! And is that a Norn? She's tiny!

That Norn is either completly tiny and the human male is abnormally tall (can humans get to 7ft? I can see a really small norn being around 7ft...) as is the charr...

As for the Centaurs, Muppet, I'm afraid you may be right. :( They look like currupted centaurs, and seem to be fighting a norn in the concept art... But that would make them tyrian centaurs. Still a bit sad... But if anything, they'll be playable when we get the Elona expansion. That is my hope, at least. I wanna have a centaur archer of my own!

Hope we'll have some height slider on character costumization, but I hope that the smallest Norn will still be slightly taller than the tallest human, and so on.
Last edited by Varda on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:46 pm

if i may, i'd like to play a bit of devil's advocate and defend the asuras for a bit.
granted, the asuras might have that "roten" personality, but that shouldnt be a reason for people to not want to play with them. each asuran player has his own personality, and even in roleplaying noone would feel obligated of having to react the same way a normal asuran would.

i agree with you, the sylvari look like bloody plant people. and im hating that right now. im hoping they can wear decent clothes.

i dont think lorewise it wouldnt be so hard to explain the charr becoming all steampunk. like we discussed before, i believe that the charr would do anything o increase their strenght in battle. so if a gun can be better than a gun or sword, they would use it without thinking twice. also, we havent had any contact with the charr culture beyond their warriors! we always fought whatever they brought to the frontlines. those vicious cruel charr we all know and hate. so like the female charr, there could other type of charr that we havent met at all.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Infinity » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:38 pm

New Trailer - The Races of Tyria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdr8HHJ-zU

What we've learnt:

1. Pretty things are pretty
2. Reskins aplenty
3. Asura are still irritating
4. Swimming?
5. Sylvari are annoying emo's
6. Charr with guns is wrong
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Erendis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Yes, pretty things are pretty... now can we have some mention of plot that it's not just EotN v2.0?

It all looks very shiny at least? The only race I'm actually excited for are the Charr, though (yes, even with the guns). Oh well.

They've also updated the GW2 site, with lore and art --> http://www.guildwars2.com/en/world/races/
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Varda » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 pm

I... Don't think it's THAT pretty.

The character models look outdated, apart from the humans. The charr look hairless (wtf?), the asuras look like a fan-made 3d render, the silvari.. .Oh dear gods, whose acid trip was that? They looked fine in the concept art, but in-game, good grief.

Even the humans don't look like anythign that couldn't be done in the gw1 engine...

I did like the mesmer outfits. Oh, and the voice acting (though not really the writing) was excellent.

So in all, good trailer, but I'm slightly afraid.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

stuff i liked:

-enviroments look awesome!
i cant wait to walk around in divinity's reach. although the town seems to be plagued by confetti! go figure.

-more costumization options!
i noticed how you can dye the different details of the armor with different colours. detailed costumization is always a plus. specially since its one of the things i like the most about gw.

-voice acting!
like anya said, voice acting is great so far. the characters are voiced by a bunch of famous people. you can check it out at the site. hopefully they will keep using the same voices.

-music!
they showed some new trakcs (as well as recycled others). so far im really enjoying it.

-elementalist skills!
because apart from a few warrior ones, they were the only ones you could notice. they are looking cool and flashy so far. love the lightning storm. hopefully other professions will have skills as flashy as those.

stuff i disliked:

-writing :(
i agree with anya. the writing is bland at best. it all seems very generic, and it really doesnt hold me in. i really dont care much about these characters or their story. but i supose it might still be a bit early for that. heres to hoping for a good deep story with lots of twists!

-character models :( boooo!
character models look pretty bad all around. they just dont look very appealing. humans look the same, asura look even uglier, norn are just bigger humans, the silvary annoy me with their skin colour, and we havent seen any gameplay of charr standing up straight. still, plenty of time left to make improvements. but since this trailer showed so much of the character models in detail im afraid that they might be satisfied with them at this point.

in the end, i really enjoyed the trailer. the character models were a huge blow on my faith for this game, but the gameplay is looking good, though not too different from the original. cant wait to see more of it.
Rhayader
The silent type

Return to Ruins of Surmia