Epic Viral campaign and GW2

GW1 discussion

Epic Viral campaign and GW2

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Since we were derrailing the concept art thread, I thought about consolidating all the info in a new one.

So as most of you already know, there's been a viral marketing campaign of sorts done for guild wars.

It started with flyers being handed out at the GDC - flyers that had a QR code embedded leading to pages within the guild wars official site. The White Mantle poster had the word "OBEY" written on it, and the Shining Blade one had "Dismantle".

The pages the code led to were

http://www.guildwars.com/shining_blade/

http://www.guildwars.com/white_mantle/

At first the pages had only the flyers that were handed out during the GDC. Then Anet added some wallpapers.

Then the flyers were defaced. The white mantle flyer got hit by hooligans who spray-painted the Shining Blade symbol over it, and the Shining Blade flyer was ripped out so badly that the only thing left in it was the word "mantle".

The source code for the pages revealed the phrases "Go, Discover Contentment. Truth is obedience." on the White Mantle Page, and "Mantle has discovered plans. Writing is on wall." on the Shining Blade one.

Shortly after, The Shining Blade and The White Mantle joined facebook with fan pages.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Sh ... 327?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Wh ... 941?ref=ts

Yesterday further clues showed up on the shining blade side.

Today, some new content was added to guild wars. The clues led to part of it, at least. The other part you can find with any character that has finished Eye of the North, by going into the Hall of Monuments.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Those further clues can be found at various places, such as:

http://www.guildwars.com/stnarytothtaed/

http://www.guildwars.com/neeuqsiamlas/

These are pretty easy if you're fluent in Tyrian, of course.

I won't post the rest yet, in case anyone wants to remain unspoiled and do the clue-finding by themselves!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks ladies - I haven't been paying a lot of attention so far but I will definitely start because this is pretty awesome :D I've been getting the urge to play gw again lately and hopefully this will be the spur. Plus, fifth birthdays coming up soon! ^__^
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:45 pm

more clues = more fun!
cant wait to see new updates on this :D

i'm also loving the new thackeray updates. seems like their relationship is getting more intense! poor thackeray...
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I visited the Shining Blade camp and took photos today. The pics are on my wiki gallery.
I also snuck some propaganda onto our guild page :twisted:
Though I hear we are divided on which we support.

Was intrigued by the camp leaders talking about arriving at LA soon.
My bet (and I have no insider knowledge on which I base this, as the Devs are keeping very quiet about this viral stuff) is that they arrive somewhere around 28th April.... :roll:
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:25 pm

why the 28th? is it the 5th birthday?
it could be a great way to celebrate it!

it think they also mention the chance that the white mantle might find their camp and it could be dangerous having all that important people in one spot. also, spy intel could be unreliable.
they mention it too many times for it not to have any relevance imo.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:25 am

Rhayader wrote:why the 28th? is it the 5th birthday?

iirc yes.
I think the live servers actually opened on 26th April 2005 (cos that's when my oldest toon was made), but that was 2 days "early" for pre-orderers.
Each birthday event has run for several days somewhere around 24 - 29 April, so I would guess this year will do the same.
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 am

an excelent oportunity to fetch my lucky title for the monument :D

it will be the first time they will actually use a special event to release new content that pushes the story foward.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Erendis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 am

The helpful people at the wiki have set up a rundown of the whole thing so far, including images and clues and so on.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/War_in_Kryta
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:45 am

Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Varda » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Now you can pay to support your cause by paying money for costumes. Or something.

http://www.guildwars.com/warinkryta/costumes/

I kind of like them, but... I won't be buying them. Sorry Anet, I really apreciate the game you made for us, and I loved all the expansions, but I don't feel like forking cash for more estetical upgrades.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Blade costume would look nice on my Ranger, and others.
But I don't see me coughing up that much money just for a costume either, just as I didn't with the winter ones. Nice idea, but not worth the money to me. I would have thought that charging half as much would get them twice as many sold, so same income but twice as many happy customers.

BTW, if ya haven't already had a go at taking on the mobs of Enforcers/Peacekeepers then don't feel you have to rush into it. Rumour has it that it will be more rewarding in time.... :roll:

So - mantle fans - with all that continues to happen how can you hold your heads up and claim they are still the side to be supported, hmmm!?
DISMANTLE!
Muppet

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Interesting piece of rumor you've heard of, Muppet. ;)

I respect those who in spite of everything, still side with the Mantle. If they didn't, then we'd have no one to fight with! :(
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Merf, you can only disguise yourself as White Mantle. Unfair!
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 pm

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars ... id=6258414
Bit of GW -> GW2 lore, and confirmation that "Since the White Mantle faction is clearly the bad guys, the players will join the rebel cause of the Shining Blade to free Kryta from tyranny" - and we should add AGAIN to that ;)
Muppet

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 pm

It would be a lot more fun if they allowed us to really take sides, even knowing the Mantle is sort of evil. but then they'd have to flesh out the bad guys into being not so bad, and point out the deep flaws of the good guys.... Eh, too much work.

Oh well, new content always gets me playing more. So glad there'll be moe to it than just the costumes. :)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:28 pm

For those of you who havent seen the 'GW2 Design Manifesto', here it is:

http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

Interesting ideas about combat / bees.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Speaking of combat:
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-one/

And here, have scantly clad women.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/p ... mentalist/

Now stop drooling.

*empties the bucket*
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Infinity » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 am

Oh dear, the more I read the more I worry.

The skill bars seem more or less pre-chosen. The first five slots change depending on your weapon, there's a slot set aside for an elite, a slot set aside for a heal which leaves a whole 3 slots for us to create a build. Also, no secondary proffessions!? Say what! I thought the whole point of GW was player skill and the thousands of combinations of builds you could create.

[No secondary profs taken from this interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/28/guild-wars-2-interview-part-1-fighting-fires/#more-29417]
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 am

Not saying it won't be more restrictive in terms of sheer combos, (or as I like to think of it, less MASSIVELY CONFUSING for people who don't feel like obsessively following the metagame), but you do get 10 skills instead of 8 to play with - and how often do you choose to go out without an elite or self-heal, anyway? Be honest.

[Edit] I could even argue that it's 15 skills not 10, because you can switch to an alternative weapon set at any time...
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm with Kiv, it is massively more restrictive. Sadly, that's one of the things players have sort of unnoficially been asking for. :(

You may see it as less confusing, Mori, but the truth is that you just have this pre-set bar, and can only change a tiny fraction of the skills to your heart's content. So forget about the randomly effective builds you had in gw1, like having a healing E/Mo, or even having your healing N/Rt, your fast-cast Me/E, etc.

Anyhow I do like the updated looks of the skills, at least. I do wonder if monsters are truly that easy to solo, though. They've said that we'll be able to solo and not be dependent on henchies/heroes/party members as much, but I still wonder...
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 pm

im all for it.

its not only less confusing but also easier for new people to be effective. people can still have fun and not be mocked at because of a poor build. this system ensures that everyone has the same starting point.

these changes seem to be a lot about balance. trying to define in very clear lines what each class does stramlines the balance of the game and makes it very easy to understand. and making the first 5 skills locked depending on your weapon ensure that you are first of all the profession that you picked.
they seem to once again put the focus not on which skills you pick, but on how to play it. less build wars and more actual player skill focused. and that was one of the principles of gw1 aswell.

i think of it like picking a character in a fighting game. you know what the character does and what the combos for that character are, but the way you play it, how you defend and how you attack, and which combos you use at which time, those are what make you unique instead of which skills you brought.

this also doesnt mean that you wont be able to be inventive and mess around with the skills. who knows if different types of weapons of the same kind can give you different skills. or what kind of other stuff you can get by mixing the skills themselves. they gave a lot of examples on those.

not to say i didnt like the old system. it was heavily inspired on CCG games like they keep saying, and it was one of the features that i liked so much about guild wars. having so many choices and so many different combo possibilities...

but no need to get disheartened so early :D
im pretty excited about the changes and cant wait to see more
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

I wonder if that skill thing is an attempt to remove the massive balancing headache they had with GW. With so much flexibility came so many problems. Mes better at Ele than Ele. Ele better at Prot than Monk. Nec better at healing than Rit. Ele better tank than War. And so on.
The primary attribute thing, which I think was intended to make a class better at being itself, has only half worked. Divine works great for healing monks the best healers. But FC works so great for Mes they can abuse it to do Ele things too. SR allows Necro to spam anything. Expertise makes rangers great warriors and touchers. They been tweaking the PA overthe years, and still trying to do so (FC gets another look as part of Mesmer changes).
So - maybe they are looking to simplify for the benefit of class distinction and balance.

I am not too bothered at having the number of skills limited, as I am not a builder of builds anyway. I take a while to evolve builds I like and then tend to stick with it till I need to change it. Of course the caveat is that if we have fewer choices the they better all be good choices. Any class that ends up with a duff skillset will not get played, and if that's you favourite class you gunna be miffed. Don't want us to all end up playing the same 3 classes cos they got all the good skills!
Muppet

Postby Infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:31 pm

I think Muppet's probably right, it keeps class roles defined and reduces the balancing headache on the devs.

But dammit I liked creating crazy new builds, I thought that was the whole point of GW. Everyones got access to the same skills, grind doesn't make you a better player, it's how you combine those 8 skills. And tbh anyone who finds sticking 8 random skills onto a bar too complicated probably shouldn't be allowed access to a computer :P

Hopefully certain proffessions wont be marginalised because of a percieved weaker skillset (as mesmers are and paragons were) as there's less room to maneuver until the devs release a balance fix.

I'm still looking forward to GW2 tho, hopefully we get a fair number of character slots as primary-prof/race is the new primary-prof/secondary-prof and I doubt you'll be able to change a chars race mid game.

Edit: Here's part 2 of the RPS interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/29/guild-wars-2-interview-part-2-a-major-event/

(Edit - fixed link a bit) - J.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Sat May 01, 2010 8:26 am

A new blog post links to all the recent interviews regarding GW2, including several I hadn't seen.

http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup- ... ementalist

The OnlineWelten interview (the first of the two links) asks several well-chosen questions that clarify some details about the mechanics. Ignore the second OnlineWelten link as it's just a verbatim copy of stuff on guildwars2.com.

A sort-of translation of the jeuxvideo interview is here:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/int ... amp;t=3627

Key point: The companion system has been dropped completely! They must be really confident of chars' ability to play solo :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 pm

"If a character is afraid of spiders and another to be afraid of the opposite sex, the encounter with the villain of the Nightmare Court materializing your deepest fears will be different. "

Teehee.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 pm

That covers Erendis and Klok then.. I wonder what other options there are!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 pm

There's new stuff going on for the War In Kryta 'event'.

Salma has arrived to Lion's Arch, but before you can beg for an audience with Her Highness you need to see how things developed to bring her there (War In Kryta Dialogues).
Once you're done running all over Kryta, head to LA and talk to the Keep Gate Guard and he'll let you in for your courtly visit.

You can also check up on Zinn and Blimm at their secret lab in Talmark Wilderness (entrance right besides Ember Whisperwind). You might be shocked at the nature of their experiments though, so proceed with caution.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Varda » Sat May 15, 2010 4:03 pm

We need to stop those @§#$% asura!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Sun May 16, 2010 10:19 am

That's a lot of back and forth just to read more dialogue :(
I'll probably wait to see if their is summat worthwhile at the end before bothering to do all that trekking about - can just read dialogue on wiki after all :P

Does anyone else think they lost the momentum on this war. Was building up really well, people getting interested and excited, and then it went into slowmo. All I see elsewhere now is moaning and disappointment. All this trekking about to see the next bit of talk is no smarter than any old fashioned fetch quest. Such a shame.
I hope it is still building up to something enjoyable to play, but am starting to doubt.
Maybe the Mantle should win after all.
BORED!
:?
Muppet

Next

Return to Ruins of Surmia