http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback ... e_previews

Panic is as fun as it sounds.
So is Psychic Instability.

What else catches your eye?
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 pm

i've been away for so long.......

most of the time i just jump in for the occasional RA match, just because i enjoy hexing people.
might finally start using actual mesmer skills on my mesmer again!

thnx for the heads up muppet, didnt notice this.
Panic and Migrain sound awesome. and empathy is usually present on my bar, so im looking foward to the changes on that too.

im pretty curious to see what they are going to do with the whole fast casting attribute.
cant wait!!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am

There was a further sneak peak when the devs messed up and acidentally released some current test skill descriptions onto live in the Thursday update (just the descriptions, not the functionality) :oops:
I am sure the details, despite being reset very quickly, will be all over wiki or guru if ya want to see more clues.
Oh - and if ya want to vanquish an area that has mesmer mobs in, might be worth doing it sooner cos they could get mighty nasty.
Muppet

Postby Varda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:04 am

I told Mori to haul ass vanquishing any areas with large mesmer mobs - mostly thinking of The Wilds, Mamnoon Lagoon, and asuran lands. But mesmers in the middle of larger multi-profession groups will also be terrible. Still, I'm really looking forward to this. :D
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm

I've already done Mamnoon Lagoon but you're right about asuran lands - will have to take a look at those. Unfortunately I'm away from GW till monday evening now!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Muppet » Sat May 22, 2010 11:28 am

Changes are in.
Let the Mesmer rampage begin!
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_updates
Muppet

Postby Elle » Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 am

Woah, that's a lot of changes. Might have to give my mesmer a dusting off.

Was this a necessary change/update then? I always enjoyed playing as mesmer and thought it was a really good class, but things may have changed while I wasn't playing...
Last edited by Elle on Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Varda » Sun May 23, 2010 11:29 am

There were't too many mesmer builds that were viable, considering how well some other classes worked.

I've been running around with a domination build that works well-enough, but it will need some energy management. Mesmers aren't overpowered at the moment, at least I don't think so - but taking two in your party is certainly doable and actually not a terrible idea anymore. The update gets a thumbs up, from me.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Do i really need to say anything?

:D
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Sun May 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Elle wrote:Was this a necessary change/update then? I always enjoyed playing as mesmer and thought it was a really good class, but things may have changed while I wasn't playing...

I think they gave in to player pressure to make the Mesmer a more direct damage dealer, so that you don't end up playing Mes/Ele or Mes/Nec or Mes/Smite or whatever. They wanted people to play Mesmer to be a Mesmer, rather than a fast casting version of summat else. However, Mesmers had a hard time getting into PvE parties (random ones) as so many just wanted tank+damage+heal, few recognised the power that Mesmers really had.
Perhaps part of that was due to badly played Mesmers giving the class a bad name, like badly played Sins almost wiped them from PvE too.

I always thouhgt Mesmer was a good fun class, but could also see it was limited in what it could do compared to some classes. I thought their original role was about damage mitigation and just plain annoying the enemy, stopping them contributing to their sides damage/healing. What is more annoying for a caster than constant interrupts and energy drain, or for the caster being hexed with suicide hexes and interrupts. Don't just remove a hex like a monk, but shatter it and do over 1000 damage to nearby foes! (Still remember that as my largest single damage hit with 1 skill :) )

With the ongoing power creep in the game they were being left behind though, as damage dealers anyway. Folks forgot I think that most damage they did was armor ignoring, or perhaps they didn't and that's why they wanted more of it. There were only a few builds seen as worth playing - bit like Rit and the spirit spammer sincethat got buffed.

So they gave them more direct damage. They buffed the size of the damage. They made it AoE damage. And all that is still armor ignoring damage. AND it can also be damage + interrupt/blindness/energy drain/etc. in the same skill!
There's a Mesmer boss I encountered after the buffs that in 2 skills can do over 600 armor ignoring damage to the whole party (used to be single target on both skills). My h/h lasted 3 seconds when I ran at him, as they so love to hold hands during fights :o

In testing we were rampaging through HM with 3 Mesmers in a group, all able to play different builds. They may not be as effective as an FC Ele now, but as they can do just as much damage with ther own skills they don't need to be :)

And did ya spot the sig buffing skills too. Now add that to a few smiting holy damage sigs as well as the mesmer ones... :roll:

As the thread title suggests, I didn't think they needed a buff, but I can see why they got one, and sure wish I had one still now they got it.
Muppet

Return to Ruins of Surmia