Skill of today

GW1 discussion

Skill of today

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:55 pm

sometimes i get doubts about skills, and how they work. and sometimes people dont realize the true potencial of some skills and thus ignoring them.

so ill begin with one of the most popular skills around
MENDING!

its an enchant, it gives hp regeneration, and honestly i think its not that good. lets take a look:

Mending: While you maintain this enchantment, target ally gains health regeneration of +1-3.
en cost: 10 and an arrow of regeneration

for me its just an enchantment for me to remove with shatter. 1-3 regeneration isnt that much. i uderstand that it might be usefull for warriors,becuz they dont need much energy or even energy regeneration. so if ur not a warrior, is this a skill u would use?
share ur thoughts
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Elle » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:59 pm

No. It is not. Unless Fox was absolutley adamant that I take it and use it on him.
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Varda » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Definately not a skill I'd use, except for fun. I've cast it on 4 people in the Ascalonian missions, as it works well with newbies that have little hp. Mine gives +4 regen, but even that isn't really good....

It is, however, useful for runing builds in some areas. Having 4 regen means that you don't have to stop in order to cast a self heal every now and then and, to top it off, it's only a danger to have it one you if there are mesmer enemies around. Necros can remove it, but it's rarer. :)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:31 pm

Just to clarify something, Fox goes around yelling "OMG MENDING IS TEH LEET" and stuff not because he believes it, but because Ian Boyd was fond of Mending. Fox is being sarcastic in his worship of Ian Boyd and Mending both. This can sometimes be difficult to detect even for me, but the alternative is to believe that Fox is a complete idiot, and that's just... hmm... waaaait a minute.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Fox » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 am

I can't believe you're all over looking the benefits of mending, +1-4 regen all the time NON-STOP.....how can you beat that. Not to mention it it's an enchantment so you get the bonus from your weapons/focus item/shield for having an enchantment.

From what I can see there's no downside what so ever, nope none at all. It's simply the best skill in the game.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Rhayader » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:24 am

i suggested mending not becuz fox "adores" it, but becuz most warriors i fight against use mending. and usually i just think: "what a fool, let me just shatter this!"
but the way fox puts it, makes mending sound a lot better.

a new day a new skill! everyone can suggest a skill they want others to comment on. i dont have to do it everytime.

today ill choose one of the skills that seems almost flawless:
TROLL UNGMENT
For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration +3-9.
en cost : 5

so whats the deal with this? activation time is only 3sec ( a bit slow, but not too slow!) hp regen +9 on its max (without runes) ONLY 5 energy!!!
plus, its not an enchantment nor a stance!! the only way to remove it is by interrupting it, right?
and since it lasts for 10sec, when it ends u can imediatly activate another one becuz it has 10sec recharge time!
and still, its not even an elite. no wonder all rangers use it!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:29 am

3 seconds activation time is a very LONG time. ;) Mesmers love interrupting it, and other rangers will do their best to interrupt it as well.

It's a sweet self heal, though. You can cast it right after it ended, but it'll take you 3 seconds to cast -- so you can still suffer a bit during that time, expecially if you're under health degen attacks.

Troll is THE skill that never leaves my ranger's skill bar. ;)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:52 am

Only reason Unguent never leaves my ranger's skill bar is because it's the ranger's ONLY self-heal, and I believe in bringing a self-heal to almost all my builds. Only when I don't want to put points into WS do I drop Unguent.

As Varda notes it's highly interruptable, but bringing one of the 75% evasion stances (my favourite is Whirling Defence) can make you pretty safe while you cast it. The other subtle advantage it gives to survivability is that the long cast time means you have to cast it early - which also gives you extra time to think about slapping on a stance, running away, or whatever.

All in all, one of the game's best self-heals, only countered by massive degeneration (such as uninfused spectral agony :O)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:10 am

The ranger does have a second self heal - Healing Spring. It's not very used because it is highly interruptable - any damage at all interrupts... And does not have the same stability as troll unguent. :)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Avalyn » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:35 pm

I dont like Unguent, its rubbish...usually get damaged for the same amount it heals...if not more, so it just wastes time.

Soul Feast ftw.

Its kept me alive so many times that ive lost count, and using that in conjunction with Bonettis defense to keep my energy up so i can use it...its a very useful combination.
Avalyn
If I had a hammer...
If I had a hammer...

Postby Infinity » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:10 pm

The only other ranger heal skill is Melandrus Resilience. But it's shit and ive never seen anyone use it. Not as useless as Otagulas (sp) Cry or whatever it is.

Unguent is the dogs. Mainly because yeah, its the only decent self, quick recharge time and because its wilderness chances are you've already got a fair few points in wilderness as it's the basis for many ranger builds such as traps, interrupt and conditions.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Fox » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Most likely the high regen rate obtainable from troll urgent is due to the high degen that a ranger is capable of which is handy when preventing yourself from slipping closer to that 0 HP. Due to the fact that once it's on it stays on no matter what is one of it's main advantages.

The fact that it is basically the only plausible self heal for a ranger means that it's nearly always present and watched for when dealing with interrupts making it a prime target.

Also as it is the most widely used ranger heal everyone is used to the 3 second cast, healing breeze has almost the same stats ( 10 seconds 3-8+ regen) with a cast time of 2. The 1 second difference is made up by the double engery cost and removal possibly due to be an enchantment.

Basically for self heal there's no other choice for a ranger unless you want to turn to your secondary but most times troll urgent just keeps you alive long while your monk actually heals you.

Pity you can't use Martyr + Melandru's Resilience, that said Would Melandru's Resilience team up well with:
MR + Malaise or possibly MR + Chilblains
MR +Verata's Sacrifice might end up with a few more conditions than it can handle.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Rhayader » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm

although the 3sec activation time might be a little slow, for my mesmer im forced to use cry of frustration, wich is a bit expensive. so most of the time when i find a ranger using ungment i dont have enough energy to cast it. but maybe thats just me.
other professions have lodas of skills to interrupt other skills like a simple knockdown, but thats y rangers are considered the mesmers bane.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Infinity » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:13 pm

PvP wise, flavour of the month for rangers is the R/Me or R/W trapper.

The R/Me variety used a mantra. Either mantra of concentration or, more commonly, mantra of resolve. Meaning interrupts have no effect.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Muppet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:33 pm

I think Mending is a PvE skill, and you might get away with it in random arena. Is a very good PvE skill if you are that w/mo with enchant based bonuses on weapon and shield, just don't rely on it as your only heal source. Some maps have enchant exploders, but not many.

Ungent is a great healer, and I have even played /R chars that used it as you don't have to put as many points in WS as you do in Heal for the same benefit. As Mori says, you can't use it to save you from near death, but should use it to keep yourself topped up instead, casting it early rather than late.

I have seen a monk build based on MR and Martyr, so it can work. Think they used it for random arena only, not for team stuff. A risky build, but apparently a successful one.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Infinity » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:42 pm

It's also got 2 elites in it, which is amazing.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:34 pm

He might mean draw conditions D:
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Muppet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Indeed... that sounds more likely.
Must be getting me kills mixed up again :oops:
Muppet

Postby Rhayader » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:17 pm

for today ill choose one of my favourite skills of all. some already said i was the backfire dude, probably cuz i use it too often.
so here it is:

BACKFIRE!! (ftw)

For 10 seconds, whenever target foe casts a spell, that foe takes 35-119 damage.
en cost: 15

i mainly use this to stop casters (mostly monks).
ok, pulling domination attribute to 16 makes backfire deal 147 dmg! thats a real whopping for a simple orizon of healing (for example...). so this makes them stop casting unless they use remove or shatter hex. and even then they take the dmg!
ok, so 15en is a bit high and 20sec recharge is a bit slow. but with my improved staff and FC to 13 i dont even see the casting bar.
the biggest downside is that its easily removed by another mesmer or another monk, as they keep shouting "I have Backfire on me!". so it might end up as being the first hex to get removed thus going to waste.
still, i use it as a opening skill, when we target a monk i imediatly cast backfire so that the monk cant heal himself.
coments on this skill, or combos, would be most apreciated
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Backfire is indeed a lovely one, rarely leaves my bar on my domination mesmer, as nothing beats seeing someone kill themselves trying to cast through it. I frequently don't notice when I get it on me till I see the "-147 (Backfire)" appearing above my head :(

Careful hex stacking is the key to making sure they aren't removed - hex removal spells take out only the most recently-applied one, so your best bet is to immediately follow up backfire with a nice quick-casting one that lasts longer than ten seconds. Empathy is one possibility.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Elle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:31 pm

yes, Backfire ftw.
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Muppet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:49 pm

Backfire on it's own will not stop most healing monks, as long as they or someone has a hex remover.

My boon healer carried remove hex. You backfire me, I do remove hex. Backfire does 147 damage, remove hex+divine+boon heals me for 120. Getting the last 27 is easy (can even wait a bit before bothering to "touch" myself).
Even without boon, -147 for backfire, +50 divine on remove hex, followed by +100 touch+divine.

Only time backfire will be really effective is if there is no hex removal on the team, or not enough to counter ALL the hexes being thrown around.
As Mori says it needs to be covered with another hex to make it harder to shug off, or be part of a hex overload strategy.
Muppet

Postby Infinity » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:15 pm

Excellent for PvE, because the AI will rarely care that its backfired and end up killing itself.

Less used in PvP because of the abundance of hex removals. Also its reasonably high energy cost and long recharge.

Plus duration is only 10 seconds, in PvP most mesmer teams will go for energy denail as the skills are cheaper and having the enemy not being able to cast at all is preferable to having them cast through backfire.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Rhayader » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:17 pm

true muppet. but usually when we target a single monk its easy to get a bunch of hexes stacked, thats y i cast it first. normally i even cast shame after backfire.
a couple of weeks ago, me varda and abes (i think) wer in uw facing those smite scarabs. and i used the backfire/empathy combo mori refered to (is "refered" spelled correctly?) becuz when they used smite hex they only took out empathy thus taking the dmg.

as i said muppet, i mostly use backfire as a opening move. backfire is like any normal hex, easily removed! specially for mesmers, who can use inspired hex and then use it against u! the biggest difference is the huge dmg penalty for those who dont or cant deal with it.
but lets face it, u cant do 147dmg using 15energy with any other skill. downside is that its dependant on the oponents moves. thus being able to deal repeated dmg or not dealing any dmg at all!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:23 am

for today lets talk about the most annoying skill in tombs

warriors that dont seem to die and trample u like a train!
some of u must hate this skill by now. originating a build based on a gimmick it is now the skill most commonly used to farm fame in tombs...

"I WILL AVENGE YOU"

For each dead ally, you gain 10 seconds of health regeneration +3-6 and your attack speed increases by 33%.
en cost: 5

every warrior can handle a cost like that! besides, its a skill from strenght attribute, that almost every warrior has on all his builds.
its a skill i'd never use in pve. its like a mending with an attack speed boost.
although i never tried it out, i dont know if the effects stack for each dead ally. i mean, if u have 2 fallen members and use iway, will u get 20sec of hp regen +6-12 and att speed 66%?
becuz it has 45sec recharge time its unlikely u will have a chance of using it more than once in a pve fight. so its usually used as a part of a combo mostly as a desperation move when ur allies are fallen

the annoying part of it starts when u face a team based on that skill. using w/r and getting pets killed, togheter with some necro combo skills to boost it up. but im not trying to talk about the iway build. this is suposed to be about the skill.

its a shout, so it cant be removed. nor interrupted. all u can do is plug ur ears and pretend u didnt hear it.

perhaps this is going too fast. most of us dont have the opportunity to post every day and comment on the skill. i thought of this when i created the topic calling it "skill of today" intead of "skill of the day". so maybe posting a couple of skills a week to have everyones coment on it before moving on
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:24 pm

Perhaps every couple of days would be appropriate? I check the forums very regularly, so I get to comment on each skill no matter how often you post them :P

It's been a long time since I played a warrior in PvP and I've never really bothered with one in PvE - though I'm starting to think having one would make a nice change. I did try "I Will Avenge You" in the competitive arenas a few times and wasn't overly impressed.. its strength is definitely in 8v8, especially with weak pet allies around.

The benefits do not stack - it's just the amount of time it stays on for, I'd guess. Attack speed can't be increased past 33% by the mechanics of the game anyway (they added that for balance a while after release).
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Yes, only duration increases with each dead ally in the area.

Fairly pointless in PvE (due to lack of deaths and long recharge time) unless you go the whole hog and just create an iway build of 8 people for the missions.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:11 pm

and for this sunday lets talk about elite skills
this one semms to be interesting enough, as it may be a good skill to use against spike teams that stick togheter or iways.

THUNDERCLAP

For 8-18 seconds, if target foe is struck for lightning damage, that foe and adjacent foes are knocked down, and you lose 15-9 energy or Thunderclap ends. This is an elite skill.
(hex skill)

encost: 10

i tryed a combo using this with bera once, but it kinda failed, draining all of my energy in just a few seconds. its best used when there is only one air elementalist attacking the hexed opponent.
so, its quick to activate (2sec.) and recharges in 15sec. enough time to keep it running on a foe. seems like a nice skill to use against monks too, keeping them from healing themselfs while the rest fo the team focuses on the other monk.
although thunderclap by itself doesnt deal dmg, the ability of knocking down several foes is quite nice, although its for a very short ammount of time.
it might also be good to use on a spiking build.
the biggest disadvantage is the high energy cost u have to pay. even with air maxed out u need to pay 9 energy whenever u strike the hexed oponent. besides, to keep an oponent from getting up u need to strike him regularly, thus draining u from all ur energy pretty quickly.
ideally, there could be 2 air elementalists striking thunderclap on 2 different targets, knocking down the foes in between, using it also as an interrupt.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Bear in mind that the skill description ranges are for attribute scores from 0 to 12. If you use headgear and a superior rune to increase your Air Magic to 16, the duration becomes 21 and the energy lost per hit 6.

If you add the highly useful Glyph of Elemental Power before Thunderclap, giving temporary Air Magic 18, the duration becomes 22 seconds and the energy loss a mere 5.. well worth considering for a build.

Of course, you'd need some hex stacking to avoid them removing it before you want it to be removed.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:42 am

Since nobody else appears to have an opinion on Thunderclap (I don't think it gets used very often, and not many people play elementalists for some reason) perhaps it is time for a new skill of today? :)
Mori
Organisational god

Next

Return to Ruins of Surmia