Skill of today

GW1 discussion

Postby Fox » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:54 pm

Skill of the Day: Distracting shot

Description : Intterupts the bad person's action and prevents them from repeat offending for and additional 20 seconds, which doesn't seem to work on PvE baddies.

Usage: Mainly for getting those quick recharge skills like RoF or OH. Does little damage with low cost and high recharge (5 En 10 Recharge) compared to something like Savage shot (10 En 5 Recharge).

I was toying with a build with Distracting, Savage, and Punishing shot. It basically came down to targetting a low health monk or caster and spamming the 3 interrupts one after another. This gives the chance of hitting a 1/4 or 1/2 cast skill and even with the delay you could hit a 2 or 3 second cast

Discuss.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm

if u have a migrain mesmer on ur team u could probably fully interrupt a monk. quite a versatile skill it seems. with that kind of recharge u can probably interrupt a lot faster than a mesmer using power spikes and power leaks.
but does it deal any dmg at all?

btw, sry i havent posted a new skill before. i got busy and ended up forgeting
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Fox » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Distracting shot -> 1-13 damage
Punishing shot -> +10-18
Savage shot -> 13-25 damage if interrupting a spell.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 pm

The damage is something like 16 at high expertise, although this ignores armour so can be pretty useful against something with insane damage resistance like a wurm.

I can confirm that the additional 20 second recharge works on at least some PvE mobs - timing distracting shot to interrupt Orison and thus prevent its constant spamming was usually the only way my ranger could hope to kill the Mursaat monk boss when solo with henchies. It also delays Healing Signet on ettins whereas savage shot just causes the normal recharge.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:14 pm

im not experienced with rangers, but as far as i could tell, using a skill interrupts ur normal attack. so do u need to have some sort of timing to fire out ur shots?
do those skills have some sort of "casting" time?
plus, with rangers u also need to be aware of how fast ur arrows go in order to interrupt successfully. seems like hard work
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Champ » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:23 pm

ranger firings can be quite tricky to get a hold on... especially if you're running tiger's fury, distracting shot and punishing....

one other thing i like about distracting is that it still inflicts any prep damage too; quite often if there's nothing i actually want to interrupt, i'll use it as an 'extra' attack. if you've got, for instance kindle, which can be doing 18 extra damage with decent ws, the distracting shot will hit for this on top of it's 15 or so damage -

dual -> quick shot -> distracting - get the timing right, it's 3 attacks very quickly, and all with your kindle damage applied to each arrow (so twice in the case of dual) :)
Last edited by Champ on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a wheel-barrow.... but the wheel fell off :(
Champ
I liek pr0n

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Good rangers do time their skills for just after they've fired off another skill or a normal attack, to minimise 'downtime' between hits.

Attacks like distracting shot, savage shot and concussion shot take 1/4 of a second, almost instantaneous, to fire, and fire the moment you hit the skill - unless you're already halfway through another skill or attack action, in which case it waits for that to finish first. But that still leaves the time it takes in the air before it reaches your target. This can be significant if you're a long way away.

Distracting rangers rely on two tactics: get reasonably close to your target (using a shortbow helps with this, but it's still best not to be out at maximum range), so the air time is much less, and/or use preparations such as Read The Wind or spirits such as Favourable Winds that make your arrows fly twice as fast.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Distracting shot is normally used to fill a space in a bar when your trying to do a little bit of everything. Or for PvP due to the reasons above.

If you were making a PvP interrupter then you'd probably use it as back up with Punishing Shot.

If you were making a PvE interrupter you wouldn't use distracting shot. Well I dont anyway. I use a shortbow with favourable winds + tigers fury + choking gas + ignite arrows. But any other build, if you wanted a bit of interrupt magic, then distracting shot would get the nod.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Rhayader » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:54 pm

we havent discussed a necro skill yet, so today i chose:

ORDER OF PAIN

Sacrifice 17% health. For 5 seconds, whenever a party member hits a foe with physical damage, that party member does an additional 3-13 damage.

en cost: 10

to me its just an over used skill. i dont see many benefits in it. it only lasts 5sec. but u can keep casting it as it only has 5sec recharge. still, i hink its a bit too expensive for a spam skill, specially for a necro. ok, so necros have ways to recover energy, but for more 13 added dmg for only 5sec? i dont think so...
i've seen some of the guild at the championships with a necro spamming OoP. but looking at it, it doesnt seem vey usefull.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Fox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:02 pm

3 rangers running a spike build

(Dual Shot + OoP x2 = 63) + (Punishing Shot + OoP = 13 )

x3 = 228 Extra damage for 10 energy

Not too shabby.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:10 pm

That's basically it. For the most part the Orders are overlooked due to their short durations, but they come into their own when the entire party is simultaneously trying to spam physical damage. It adds up really quickly, and for spike teams, it means that extra boost that can make the difference between life and death for your target.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:59 am

sry about the long absence. i'm on exam season so i dont have that much free time as before.

todays skills will be PANIC!!

For 10-22 seconds, target foe and all nearby foes suffer energy degeneration of 2 and take 10-68 damage whenever they use a signet. This is an elite skill.

en cost: 25 (OMG!!)

i chose this becuz eveyone says its "oh so cool.." "i love using panic on my degen build..", but i cant seem to find it that usefull.
ok, so 2 energy degen scattered around a bunch of enemies sure sounds like fun, and 22 seconds of it, sounds all cool, but paying 25en for that?? it even has a nice recharge time (10sec) like its asking u to spam it around. but 2en degen isnt that much, on most matches i only got to use it once or twice cuz i was allways busy using other skills like power leak. im a mesmer for cryin out loud!! i cant spam that kind of skills! im required to be trigger happy for interrupts. i cant really plan ahead cuz i never know what the oponent might do next, even if im storing up energy to use panic, i might encounter a ele casting a meteor shower wich i feel obligated to interrupt. my point is, from a mesmer ONLY point of view its just too expensive.
i think this skill is only great if the oponent has a very signet based build. this is like the backfire of signets!
still, with panic on, the oponent has a en recharge of a warrior, if they have a good energy management skills 2degen for 22 sec isnt that much. plus, it affects only nearby enemies, so it doesnt have a really big range.
i find it a good skill all around, but a bit costly unless they use signets
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm

It looks like nobody has anything to say about Panic.. because nobody has tested how effective it is in a decent build yet :P Let's try a more common one for today:

Pacifism
Protection Prayers
For 8...18 seconds, target foe cannot attack. This effect ends if the target takes damage.

Not hugely useful in random arenas or with henchmen around, because you can guarantee your team will somehow contrive to damage the person you put this on. In an organised team, though.. there could be some potential. I've used it to considerable effect in a team arena team before.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:40 pm

Pascifism is only useful in certain situations, with certain builds and with careful planning beforehand.

Severely limits your attacking options as your effectivly saying goodbye to any AoE spells, traps, smiting prayers, cyclone axe, etc...

Oh, and against certain enemies as im assuming you can still cast spells when pascifism is on?
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Avalyn » Mon May 15, 2006 10:42 am

My vote goes to the Ritualist skill, Restoration.

If timed right, can really save a seemingly lost battle, by resurrecting the entire party!

Restoration is a spirit, which after 30 seconds (or if it gets killed before the 30 seconds have ended) resurrects all party members in the area with about 5..50% health (but no energy).

So imagine you are facing another group in PvP, its a tough battle... and you have like 2 people left alive and just finish off their last player, but then restoration kicks in... and you suddenly face a full team again...Insanity!

Also, unusually, its not a restoration skill, but a communing skill, and as Communing is mostly spirit summoning, you do not have to focus on being a healing ritualist to make the most of this skill.

One last comment: Thread Necromancy for the win!
Used and Abused, and finally retired.
Avalyn
If I had a hammer...
If I had a hammer...

Postby Beraton » Mon May 15, 2006 10:46 am

That does sound like a crazy skill. What energy does everyone come back with?
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Avalyn » Mon May 15, 2006 10:49 am

Sorry, forgot to mention, it costs 10 energy to cast, takes 5 seconds, and 45 seconds to recharge.

Also, I did mention that those resurrected have no energy :)
Used and Abused, and finally retired.
Avalyn
If I had a hammer...
If I had a hammer...

Postby Beraton » Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 am

Oh, so you did.

It'd probably be horrifying to face an iway group with one /rt. D:
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Infinity » Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 am

I thought you'd got that wrong with the "(or even if it's killed...)" because that seems ridiculously overpowered. But it appears you havent (judging from gwg description).

So a mesmer with fast casting and mantra of persistance casts this spirit and there's nothing the enemy can do to stop everyone in the area from being rezed. Not even immediatly focusing on the spirit before the 30 seconds are up. That's stupid.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Mon May 15, 2006 12:31 pm

How is that different from a mesmer/monk with fast casting and mantra of persistence casting Light of Dwayna? Apart from the energy cost.

Point is, everyone gets ressed with 0 energy, and "in the area" isn't all that big an area. Anyone ressed by this method is a sitting duck and can be focused and beaten into oblivion in moments.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Mon May 15, 2006 1:55 pm

It won't help much if the entire party is dead and rezzes at the same time... But if there are still 3 or 4 fighting, and the new members are rezed at the same time, it could potentially turn the tid eof the battle. It takes timing, a sense of oportunity and also a fair bit of luck - but it can help. Expecially in altar maps in HA, for instance. Isn't this what the ressurrection orbs do, afterall?
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Tue May 23, 2006 1:45 am

i find it really annoying in pve as they really keep rezing unless u focus on the ritualist. at least makes the pugs keep on their toes

let me go thru this skill

auspicious incantation
en cost 5
recharge 25

For 20 seconds, the next spell you use is disabled for an additional 30 seconds, and you gain Energy equal to 110-182% of that spell's energy cost. The recharge for Auspiciuos Incantation is reset, and it has an additional recharge time equal to that spell's energy cost.

so basically cast a spell for free, get some bonus energy, that spell takes 30more seconds to recharge.
kind of reminds me of glyph of sacrifice. so with this u can just cast panic or conjure nightmare for free.
is this interesting?
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:42 pm

That's a rather complex skill and apparently nobody has any thoughts on it :D

Here is my skill of today:

Dash (Assassin, no attribute)
Stance: For 3 seconds, you move 50% faster. (5 energy, 20 recharge)

Is there any situation in which this could possibly be useful?
You could use it to charge someone down rapidly, but you might just as well use one of the numerous assassin "shadow step to target foe" skills for that.
You could use it in PvE to shake mobs off your tail, since they stop pursuing if you're moving faster than they are. But there are numerous other speed buffs that last much longer and so are more useful for this. The only advantage to Dash is that it lets you move, for that brief time, faster than any other skill in the game (even Burning Speed at 19 fire magic only gives 49%).
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:47 pm

:( noone liked my skill

i guess that sins are all about surprising ur enemy. so dash could be used as a quick and intense speed buff just enough to catch ur foe offguard. ok, so u can use shadow step, but that can only be used to transport urself to a target. there fore its useless if u want to flee quickly from a meteor shower for example or perhaps running a flag.
its really good for professions that dont have speed buffs, mesmers have some but they are quite useless or even monks and necros. thats why its a skill without any linked attributes, making it a nice skill to fill a gap in any other profession that might need it but cant afford to spend attribute points on it
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Infinity » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:11 am

I dont like restoration because effectivly you can res yourself when your dead.

I dont like auspicious incantation because I dont think the positives of the energy gain outweigh the negatives of having two skills disabled for about 30 seconds.

I dont like dash because it only lasts for 3 seconds.
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 am

I don't like Kivan because he only lasts for 3 seconds :(
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:08 am

You're not the only girl to have said that...
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:53 am

Only 3 seconds?

Dear gods... That's completly useless. :shock:

You too, Kiv. :P

I don't like Auspicious Incantation either. Don't dont dont and just plain don't.

The only thing I can see dash being mildly useful for would be to outrun someone. :p And how many times do you have to?
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:25 am

Well.. it could be great for kiting away from some warrior if you were silly enough to let him get within range in the first place.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 am

well, just backtracking into auspicious incantation again, even though everyone doesnt seem to be too fond of it, i see to have found a good combo. though it uses an elite.
illusion 15
inspiration 11

using glyph of renewal, conjure nightmare , and auspicious incantation

lets say ur a bit low on energy. lets say 30 energy? its not low but u can make it well spent. select ur target use auspicious incantation, then glyph of renewal, then conjure nightmare.
conjure gets recharged and u get the bonus energy. so u can just select another target and cast nghtmare again!
Rhayader
The silent type

Previous

Return to Ruins of Surmia