Who wants to GvG?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Who wants to GvG?

Let's start as soon as possible and get our names on the ladder!
30%
Sure, but let's not go taking it too seriously. We're bound to suck.
40%
We're not ready yet. Give it a couple more weeks/months.
20%
Do what ya like, I'm not personally interested in PvP.
10%
Every time you GvG, god kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
No votes

Total votes : 10

Who wants to GvG?

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 am

The Guild Wars ladder has been reset. Already many guilds have been GvGing constantly, trying to take that prestigious top slot for the few precious days until the established top guilds seize it back.

Our risk of meeting guilds far better than us is significantly elevated at the moment, but on the other hand even if we lost our first match we'd take our place briefly in the top 1000 somewhere.

Some of you are keen to start GvG as soon as possible; others believe we're far from ready. Personally I think we're getting better at general PvP all the time, and that we're ready at least to start putting together our first GvG build - possibly something based on our working two-mesmer energy surge arrangement that we use in Tombs.

If you want to take part, I HIGHLY recommend you watch some observer mode GvG matches if you haven't already. This will give you a feel for the maps and the strategies used (make sure you turn auto-camera off so you can zoom around the battlefield at your own whim) as well as the popular builds of the moment. Also, take some time to explore our own guild hall. 50% of our battles will take place there. Knowing all its ins and outs will be important. How many of you have actually explored out the back gate? Who knows the exact locations of the catapults and where their missiles hit? What's the quickest route to the flagstand when the match starts, and what areas do we need to watch to avoid having our NPCs ganked while we're occupied elsewhere?

Am I being too ambitious here? WHO AMONGST YOU WANTS TO FIGHT FOR A PLACE IN GUILD WARS HISTORY?!

Oops, got a bit carried away there :?
Last edited by Mori on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Abes » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:32 pm

I agree! Commander Morikins, if anything, you can rely on me to be by your side on the GvG Battlefield as soon as it begins!
Abes
Cultured roof wanker

Postby Elle » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:38 pm

I took part in the first GvG we did moooooonths ago, and I'll happily loiter at the back again in future such events ;)
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Fox » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Wouldn't this have been a topic that could have used a poll?
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Good idea! Sorted.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:36 pm

I do believe we need more practice in order to stand a chance at wining in GvG. The mechanics are slightly diferent from those of Tombs pvp'ing and we really should consider building up a strategy for our Guild Hall... Using the one we use for Tombs may not be the smartest thing to do.

Having said that, I don't mind if you guys want to do a test run of GvG sometime. I just don't think we have what it takes to really win just yet. :D
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Agree to some extent, I'm slightly chary of going into GvG knowing we'll probably face demoralizing defeat on our first few matches. On the other hand, the only way to get better at it is to practise, and it's only a matter of time, probably a few months, till the next ladder reset :P
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Fox » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:56 pm

What's all this talking about losing being demoralizing, so you lose a match, what bearing does that have on the next match. As they say in love, "it's better to have lost and played, than to have never played at all."

That being said, we should at least manage to victorise ourselves in Hoh at least once.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Rhayader » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:36 pm

i wanna be in the ladder. but we should practice more. are there any unranked gvg matches?
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:22 pm

All gvg matches where you challenge an opponent directly are unrated. Some of us could split off and create a new guild for this purpose I guess.. but a) I don't think we have enough active members for that, and b) there are penalties for changing your guild (reduced faction earnings I think) and you can't switch guild more than once in a short space of time (like a week or something).
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:49 am

so u can challenge a guild? like, any guild? lets challenge ric's guild!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:06 am

I know at least one portuguese guild that wants to do unrated GvG against... pretty much anyone, it seems. ut they have a special day/time for it, so dunno if it's possible to coordinate it...
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Fox » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:22 am

You want to challenge a bunch of 12 year olds.....you bullies.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 am

Well, it would help if you told us the special day/time, so we can see who's available. :P
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I asked for the time to be confirmed, but in the forum I visit they calim they can have people for it between 10-13 or 20-23, saturdays.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 pm

So in theory we could challenge and play these people at 8:30pm ish on Saturday, assuming we managed to put a team together ourselves?
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:36 pm

That's the theory... But I posted to the forums to get a confirmation if they're still doing that. The last post of that sort is a few weeks old, so...
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

meaning that i cant play. saturday is no go for me. ull have to do without me.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:51 pm

And without Bera as well. Saturday is really not the best day for our guild, that much I do know. Just saying that there's a guild out there somewhere that wants to do the same as we. :P
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Jericho » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:58 am

Never had a GvG battle before, so why not :)
Jericho

Return to GvG