What did ya learn from watching the finals?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

What did ya learn from watching the finals?

Postby Muppet » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:16 am

Watched the games saved in Observer Mode from this mornings (02:00 :/) playoffs. LuM vs Te, EviL vs Val.

Most of the classes being played did not look new, lots ofthe nw familiar favourites. I think one game had 5 Gale W/E, 2 OoB Mo/N, 2 Cripple/Poison R/Me, 3 Mo/Me, and so on.

Two things stood out to me overall (from just 1 watch of random chars during each fight).

[1] Some great displays of body-blocking.
There was a point where EviL gave a fantastic display of blocking. The Val Warrior flag carrier (crippled of course) was completely unable to get past the back 3 (2 monks and a mesmer) as between them they kept his path body-blocked whilst the rest of the team fought in front. Eventually the rest of the team attacked the guy and he was taken down, but it was the great blocking that stopped the flag cap.
There was also some good examples of bocking chars against scenery (like the gates), or even just surrounding them, which Val used well to take down a Warrior they trapped in their Guild Hall.

[2] Awful lot of Blackout being used by Me and /Me. Rangers were using it as well as Me primary to shut down healers.

So what did you notice?
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Lys » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:01 am

Well, I don't have much time to develop right now but I encourage everybody to have a look at the 1st round from the semifinal between LuM (finnish fellas) and WM (korean). Both matches were very nice but there's A LOT to learn from the 1st one.

That could be one of the best GvG match I've ever seen. Basically WM ran their warriors split-build with two monks backup and got overpowered from the beginning by LuM build. WM monks quickly got nasty DP and even hit -60% later. Though, even with no backup healing, WM warriors keep the pressure all over the map key-points and manage to control the flagstand. So wrong that it went right. They made a crazy recover to wrap the match up after VoD.

The 2nd round, LuM adapted perfectly their build to WM one : 3 monks with continual aegis and distortion, a mesmer with panic to degen warriors energy, a mesmer with conjure and migraine to delay monks. Still, WM managed to handle this perfect counter to their own build and showed their tactical superiority. Keeping the pressure, pushing forward, bodyblocking the runner.
In the end of the day, it appears that build is less important than people usually believe. And that tactics are way too underrated.

Now iQ vs EviL but I won't be able to watch it T_T Should be a great match as iQ has some crazy tacticians in their crew
Lys

Postby Muppet » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Just watched that first LuM v WM game.

WM very impressive. 4 W/E, 2 R/Me, 2 Mo/N.
Just 2 boon/prot monks and yet the Ws and Rs hardly worried about needing healing.

LuM had 4 healers, as well as 3 Mo/ the E/Mo was using Heal party and Breeze. Guess they were worried about the power of WM, but maybe affected their damage as even when they had both Wm monks down they could not kill the WM guys.

Again I was most impressed by player skill over skills on the bar. For an absolutely fantastic display of how to fake an interrupt ranger, watch Duran Wm using his Heal Sig to counter the rangers poison and interrupts (there is a session where he is 1 on 1, wish I noted the time :/).
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Mori » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:52 pm

I think I watched that little display myself. Couldn't understand how he could spam healing sig nonstop despite getting interrupted - his timing at self-disruption was that perfect.

LuM either lacked the damage or the guts to press their morale advantage, but Koreans do have a reputation for running characters who don't necessarily rely on their monks to heal them (Endure Pain, Healing Signet and Sprint seemed to do the trick).

I'm still in awe of that first match. Wish the second matches were up so I could watch those, feels like I learn something with every high-level game I watch.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Mori » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:46 pm

Also, one of the biggest things I learnt is that everyone in the guild who wants to be any good at gvg can benefit a lot from watching high echelon tournament matches. The more you watch, the more you'll notice and the more strategy you'll pick up (the actual builds are less important, as Muppet noted they tend to be fairly standardised).
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:17 pm

im unable to watch the matches until monday. will they still be up for viewing by then?
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:44 pm

We can but hope. The final matches between WM and EvIL are quite entertaining as well.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Lys » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:01 pm

Phew, watched the other semi-final and the finals.

EviL sure deserve their rank, they're playing an insane level at the moment. Since their lost against WM during Korean regionals (really close matches, the one on the ice map was wonderful '__') it seems like they have improved in every bit of their game.

About the semi-final : iQ were pretty disappointing, especially during the 1st fight. At first They ran an interesting build with 3 gale/frenzy warriors (nothing new here), a crippler/blackout (quite common too) and 4 chars more dedicated to support, three monks and Me/Mo. The mesmer had an hybrid build with draw conditions and martyr as elite. They tried to compensate their "lack" of damage output by running order of pain on one of their monk, Savage. Unfortunately they were outmatched by EviL who just kept draining and dropping everything in sight while pushing forward. Strange thing to notice : iQ was prepared to counter a heavy conditions-build with two martyrs, draw conditions, purge conditions and mend ailment.
The 2nd match was closer and went to VoD. Both team swapped build, iQ going out with a blinder/party healer ele and a surge/rotting flesh necro.
EviL dropped one of their war for a second crippler ranger and their 2nd surger mesmer for a curse necro. That change saved EviL' s day as we'll see later.
Once again, during the first ten minutes, EviL took slowly but surely the advantage, punishing iQ and pushing them back to their guild lord. That's where they made a small tactic "mistake", they played too agressively, running in the guild lord room to take down some npcs. With backup from their bodyguards and archers, iQ managed to inflict heavy damage to EviL. Then the match was a stale for 20 min, EviL sieging just in front of iQ base and iQ trying to push them back to the flagstand.
There comes a fantastic moment. At the VoD mark, iQ made a desperate but decisive move : both iQ warriors stormed through EviL troops and ran straight (ice map) to the opponent guild lord (left all alone as korean npcs were rushing out). EviL was still trying to rush iQ guild lord but had to cope with the rest of the US team and their npcs. iQ warriors started ganking successfully the guild lord. EviL weren't able to send one of their two monks back to heal the lord. Everything seemed lost but they adapted perfectly and sent their necro back. On his own (by spamming Enfeeble), he prevented iQ warriors from killing the guild lord in time. EviL just needed some time to clean out everything and their necro managed to gain that precious time . At the end of the game, EviL guild lord was still standing with 1/6 of his health =o

About the finals, WM used their trump card : a variation of their 4 wars, 2 rangers, 2 monks split-build. Instead of 2 warriors, they added a Me/N to one split and a N/Me to the other one. That looked like really sexy, especially the way WM ran it : agressively and flexibly. They were all over the map (well, even more than usual). Still that build had less self-sufficient healing then their original build. EviL capitalized on that fact and kept dropping WM monks at first. Then they kept the pressure on and, although WM had some really nice flag runs, they didn't waste their advantage. Two clean victories under the VoD mark.
Lys

Return to GvG