GvG Signup Thursday 23.03.2006

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

GvG Signup Thursday 23.03.2006

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:56 am

On Thursday we will be running the newly designed split build mark I. This time, I will be able to attend, almost certainly. :)

Slots are:

CoP Monk #1
Air Elementalist
Domination Mesmer
Knockdown Hammer Warrior
CoP Monk #2
Spiteful Necro
Axe Warrior
Flag Running/Poison Ranger

I would like it if anyone who wants to take one of the monk slots gain AT LEAST a couple of hours' experience playing it (RA/TA/HA) before we start. The build can be very powerful if used properly but takes a lot of practice to get good at. Some regular monk players may find it doesn't suit their play styles at all.

As of this posting I haven't yet done full builds for either warrior. I'll go knock something together now, though I can't guarantee they will be all that good.

/signed: any slot.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Fox » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:11 am

I've played that monk build for a while myself, though with less hex removal, that and without healing touch. Mantra is slower than OoB and requires alot more energy mangement especially against e-denial builds and enchantment removal. Why is this being used rather than the standard OoB. CoP and Boon take enough energy let alone with MoR.

Though i'm unsure if i can make it Thursday.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:42 am

Healing Touch is a definite win in that build, wouldn't be without it. I haven't played it with OoB - will give this a try before thursday and adjust the build if I think it works better. The point of using mantra of recall is it's an extra enchantment, hence extra hex/condition removal and heal when you need it.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Fox » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 am

enchantments are all well and good, but it's also the sole energy mangement skill and not something i'd want to have to end prematurely and waste.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 am

Aye, I know the arguments for using OoB which is why I'm prepared to test it and see how well it works. Another upside of using it is that it's far less finicky, takes less practice to be effective.

It has its disadvantages as well, though. As a monk you're likely being beaten on, and sacrificing 20% health under those circumstances can be a dodgy proposition - especially when the build is split and you're the only monk around. Whereas if you run out of energy while under fire with MoR on, you can heal yourself AND get energy back in one quick 1/4 second cast.

We'll probably end up trying both and seeing what works.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Fox » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:58 am

If you run out of energy without MoR on it takes a great deal of time to work up the energy to recast it, not to mention the casting time. also once you've got it on, you need to recharge CoP in order to prematurely end it, unless it gets removed for you of course. Still i'm sure some a good BiP or BR coordination will aid. Especially seeing as i've watched top ranked guild monks run pure monk builds with no energy management skills of their own.
Fox
Stupider like a FOX!
Stupider like a FOX!

Postby Elle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:14 pm

Don't think me or Nick can make it thursday, as it's a friend's birthday. I wouldn't want to play one of the monks even if I was going to be around though, I havn't practiced using CoP (although Nick has) ;)
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Klokwurk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 pm

I can do either Warrior, or attempt a Monk if other people want both Warrior slots.
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Beraton » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:42 pm

I can take the mentalist or the spiteful Necro (Just need to buy infuse).
Beraton
L33t pyromancing toff

Postby Varda » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:42 pm

I can probably play thursday, as this bloody flu should be gone by then... But I don't think I can play the CoP monks. I think I can play the flag running ranger or the mesmer.

However if those slots are taken by other people with mroe experience, I don't mind sitting out (and can someoen cast mend ailment on me?)
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby khaz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Axe warrior here. And no, I won't be pulling any last second getaways. :/
khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby Abes » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Oblivion is arriving a day early, so I'll probably be playing that. Nah, I'll make it for the place as Dom. Mesmer if needed.

/signed: any blank space that I can fill!
Abes
Cultured roof wanker

Postby Lys » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:34 pm

I should be able to make it this evening so I'm applying for any slot needed. Though I'd prefer to play a frenzy/shock war or a curses necro. Or a boon prot with energy drain instead of MoR (as it's less conditionnal and helps with draining the other team) =)
Lys

Postby Rhayader » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:09 pm

since abes has the mesmer count me in for the air ele or the hammer warrior
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Varda » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 pm

So, today is the day and we have:

Mori
Klok
Bera
Varda
Khaz (are you suuuure? :P ;))
Abes
Lys
Rhay

And possibly Fox, if he is around (not confirmed, though)

So the distribution will be something like this:

Mori- CoP Monk
Klok- Hammer Warrior
Beraton- Necro
Varda- Flag runner
Khaz - Axe Warrior
Abes - Dom. Mesmer
Lys - CoP Monk
Rhay - Air Ele

If Fox happens to be around, I'll switch out of flag running ranger and leave the spot for Mori, who has far more experience than I. Fox can then play a CoP monk, since he has been playing one in random arenas in preparation.

Does this sound any good, oh fearless leader?
Last edited by Varda on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for this - looks fine to me. Put Klok on hammer, Khaz on axe, unless they agree to do it the other way around. Have Lys make changes to her CoP monk as she wishes and report them back to me so I can update the build - I'll probably keep to the build posted for mine.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Muppet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Thanks for the chance to play guys.
I'm glad I had a simple task, and that the opposing team had no intent on interfering with me doing it, but was nice to be part of GvG for once. Was a nice upside to the testing servers and forums being borked all evening.

And we won :P
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Return to GvG