GvG Summary for 24/05/06

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

GvG Summary for 24/05/06

Postby khaz » Tue May 23, 2006 11:33 pm

Basic outline: See screenshot below for classes used. We didn't change that for the four matches. Did tinker with skills here and there. Got to play in our hall only once. Won two, lost two. And it was good to be playing GvG again after a long gap. With Factions PvE now starting to calm down, we should be able to get back our normal skill level of guilds ranked around 1000 much quicker this time round.

That is all for now. Proper update on actual battles later. Need sleepzzzzzzZZZzZzZzzzz

khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby Mori » Wed May 24, 2006 7:54 am

Bah! Need more detail!

I see you didn't employ any Asses in the end..
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Wed May 24, 2006 11:47 am

There were no asses, in the end...

So we went with what we could. More details, you asked for it:

We won the first battle, which took place in the Frozen Isle. It was against a team that didn't seem to be having much of a clue of what was going on, and had henchies (Healer and Mage). They split and we split. Our Split 1 consisted of myself, Lys and Khaz. Domination Mesmer, standard boonprot and warrior. Split 2 stayed at the flag stand and was composed of everyone else except Bera (flag running ele).

Ultimatly Split 2 pushed forward into the enemy base and killed their guild lord before anyone knew what was happening. ;) Someone from that split could probably post why that bit went so fast.

Now bear with me, I was sleepy last night so I don't remember exactly the order of the following battles.

We were taken to the Imperial isle during one of them. In that battle we met with a weirdly balanced team which started out alright, managing to hold us at bay for a bit (it helped that both klok and I got lost on the way out of the hall) but ultimatly crumbling to bits when they started losing ground. They used the teleports well enough, but were incredibly uncoordinated... I don't think it took us long to kill them.

Next up, we were taking to the Warriors Isle. true to the name, we met a team of... warriors, for the most part. They relied on adrenal spike and we had no warrior grief with us... Long story short, they dp'ed us down and proceeded to mop the floor with us.

We went into the following battle with some minor changes, with our ritualist taking Soothing to fight off any war-spike-wannabe teams. this time we got our very own guild hall to fight in... And we also got a very good (unranked) guild. They knew how to body block, they knew how to spike... We kept control of the flag stand enough time to get a moral boost, but they kept killing our flag runner when he tried to cap the obelisk flag stand, so we had to deal with random fireballs on top of the other team's considerable damage. They had a curses-spamming necro with malaise, whom we managed to kill several times. A ranger kept interrupting klok's spirits, so we didn't get as much protection nor damage form them as we would have otherwise. they pushed into our guild hall very soon into the game, but we managed to recover enough to throw them out. The second time they managed to push in, everyone had some DP and I (dom mesmer) was DP'ed out. Aki (playing a blood necro) had computer issues and dropped from the game, and when they were coming for our guild lord Bera's character (flag runner ele) got stuck on the stairs. He couldn't move, though he could use skills.

Still the team managed to hold out till VoD. In a last effort, Lys urged a split to gank the enemy guild Lord, but with one team member dp'ed out, one conenctioned out, and one stuck... It didn't work. It was an awesome match, but in the end we lost.

After that match people started leaving, so I changed to boon prot and we enlisted champ, sixxor and rhay's help (along with a mage henchman). Aki dropped again, this time at the start of the match, and I sucked big time as a boonprot (was completly rusty). The oposing team was also using an assassin with shroud of silence, which stops enchantments from being cast on whoever has it on, which is a killer when it comes to boonprotting. This match took place in our guild hall.

After that we just went for Alliance battles, but that's a topic for another thread, someday. ;)

Highlights of the matches: The healing. Elle and Lys kept us topped up even against the curse-spamming necro of match #4. They were both excellent. Klok's use of the spirits was also great, allowing us to keep pressure on the enemies and relieving the monks a little.

I don't know if posting our individual builds is helpful or not, since we were just fiddling with "stuff", but I'll post mine if you think it's worth it.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Muppet » Wed May 24, 2006 11:48 am

You guys seen the WM Assassin gank stuff (Aura of Displacement)... seems they really worked out how to make them work in GvG.
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Rhayader » Wed May 24, 2006 12:04 pm

u forgot to mention the wonderfull job of the running mesmer. wich stood behind at the GH waiting for klok to capture the stand and for the flag to respawn (wich never happened) and then the frustrated 4 incomplete runs of trying to capture the stand mostly becuz that said mesmer had no running skills :roll:
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby khaz » Wed May 24, 2006 12:14 pm

As I am lazy:

[13:03] <khaz`> good gvging last night
[13:03] <khaz`> shame you missed it
[13:03] <khaz`> the organisation came back quicker than i thought
[13:04] <khaz`> 4th match = AWE
[13:04] <khaz`> all the way to VoD
[13:04] <khaz`> they pushed into our base within 10 minutes, we defended, back to the flag stand, cue battle for the stand till about the 20 minute mark
[13:04] <khaz`> pushed back to our base, turtled at lord, VoD
[13:04] <khaz`> died just after
[13:04] <khaz`> i was amazed we pushed them back first time
[13:05] <Mori> aw
[13:05] <khaz`> but we lacked decisiveness at VoD
[13:05] <Mori> a common problem
[13:05] <khaz`> around 29 minute mark the other guild knew what we were going to do
[13:05] <khaz`> they regrouped, went outside and waited
[13:05] <khaz`> VoD
[13:05] <khaz`> they split and sadly Bera bugged out
[13:05] <khaz`> he couldnt move
[13:05] <khaz`> at all, he and me were supposed to rush their lord :/
[13:06] <khaz`> and eerie's connection went tits up
[13:06] <khaz`> we could have pulled that off
[13:06] <khaz`> first two wins were fairly easy
[13:06] <khaz`> guilds with no ranks and even henchies
[13:06] <khaz`> but we did get to play in the frozen isle and imperial isle
[13:06] <khaz`> 3rd guild = arrgh
[13:07] <khaz`> 4 warriors, 2 axe + 2 hammer :/
[13:07] <khaz`> coordinated wonderfully
[13:07] <khaz`> and we just did not have a build for that
[13:07] <Mori> hehe
[13:07] <khaz`> but yes, no assassins
[13:07] <khaz`> i counted several opportunities in the 4th match where an ass would have made a difference
[13:07] <khaz`> especially with a quick shadow step+expunge enchantments omve on a monk or two
[13:08] <khaz`> then immediately following with spike
[13:08] <Mori> that's what the W/A is for.. build up adren and then shadowstep :D
[13:08] <khaz`> but it was good to play again together after so long, we clearly havent forgotten how to play :)
[13:08] <khaz`> only a matter of time before we regain the skills we worked so hard to get
[13:08] <khaz`> and this time it wont take 6 months
[13:08] <khaz`> also, none of us panicked, ever
[13:09] <Mori> super
[13:09] <khaz`> like when we got shoved back to our base in the 4th match first time, we just stayed at the stairs on the left, defended well and pushed them back out
[13:09] <khaz`> also, when turtling th elord, we defended with 7
[13:09] <khaz`> eerie's connection went before that
[13:09] <Mori> ah
[13:09] <khaz`> all those beatings we took when we first started, clearly paying of ;)
[13:11] <khaz`> ahh yes, as varda mentions in her post
[13:11] <khaz`> the body blocking from the 4th match
[13:11] <khaz`> good god, they were good at it
[13:11] <khaz`> spanky's and my war were continuously body blocked
[13:12] <khaz`> allowing their hex spam necro + 2 rangers with cripple and poison to get everyone

We definitely need to get some assassins incorporated somewhere. A stealthy assassin with expunge enchantments would have helped quite a bit in that 4th match.
khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby Mori » Wed May 24, 2006 12:20 pm

Sounds like a good, packed evening! :D

Consider mesmer or ele secondary for ritualists. All their spirits have such long cast times, it may well be helpful to have a mantra of resolve or glyph of concentration up first.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Wed May 24, 2006 12:21 pm

a mesmer could do it just as well!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Lys » Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Muppet wrote:You guys seen the WM Assassin gank stuff (Aura of Displacement)... seems they really worked out how to make them work in GvG.

<3 <3 <3 War Machine. It's completly stunning indeed *__* Try to have a look at their 1st round, 2nd match against Nu, which took place on the fire island map, the one known for its difficulty to split. Their gank team of 2 sins _only_ did wonder in sneaking behind Nu team and slowly killing all NPCs. And each time Nu sent back 2, 3 or even 4 people, WM sins prooved themselves impossible to kill with wrazy teleport games (actually those guys teleport more than they hit). They always work in pair to keep the teleporting (Aura of Displacement, Recall) even more random.

But WM tried more than everyone else the new builds. They didn't play gvg a whole week after Factions release, taking their time to incorporate sins and rits, and during the ladder season, they kept experimenting. And now they are going for a build that suits perfectly their split tactics : 2 sins (gank team), 2 wars (more dmg at the flagstand now), 2 e-denial mesmers, 2 monks. I think they are a step ahead of everyone atm, tactics wise. They discovered that sins teleporting skills do change a lot the fight. There's no more backline or frontline, nor even unreachable safe place in the guild lord room.

Ironically, one of most effective way to counter sins "space control" is a... static trapper. Char, who faced WM in the 2nd round, brought a trapper (even if it wasn't enough in the end) and were able to make WM sins less effective to a certain extent (by trapping all around the bodyguards, the gates of their base and some other keypoints).
Last edited by Lys on Wed May 24, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lys

Postby Lys » Wed May 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Aye, that was a really nice evening and it felt good to be back to GvG!
Actually, the teams we faced in our 3rd and 4th matches are smurfs guilds and they weren't bad by any means (the complete lack of ranking should have been a hint =D). The 3rd match on the warrior island, we had little to no chance of winning it, we were so unprepared for heavy wars build. 4 adren spike + gale at the same time = gg as we didn't have anything to counter them except Klok's Shadowsong and Aki's Enfeeble.

The 4th match which took place at home was fun. I still think that we had our chance at some moments, as we were able to stall the game when we were only 6 at the flagstand and with pressure from the fireballs. Some mistakes we made :
1) not paying attention to Bera's hard time as a flag runner, he told me after the match that the opposing team sent two people from the start to run their flag and that's why they kept DPing Bera. We then had to hand them constant morale boosts. That kind of information is _really_ important. If they send a small flag team, we have to react by sending one or two more people, 2 for 2 (except if our runner class can handle two of them).
2) not paying enough attention to Klok's problems. From the start, their ranger kept interrupting him, we should have spent some time to shut him down right at the start. We only recognized the threat later as he was spreading poison and interrupting Khaz and Nick. Going for the monks and the mesmers is usually nice but often in GvG, you have higher priority targets. Their curses necro and poison ranger were the main threats, we managed to kill the necro a few times.

About the healing it was made way easier thanks to Elle's wrazy skills under lag, Ery's blood ritual and Klok's shelter ^_^ Klok did really well as a Ritual Lord, and after some adjustements, he got the hand on positioning himself and his spirits : stay back and way behind us to cast his shelter and union as the spirits have a huge range then get nearer the battlefield to use displacement, shadowsong, gaze of contempt. Risking an interrupt on the defensive spirits is more damaging than risking an interrupt on an offensive spirit.

And on the 5th match, our boonprots were completly screwed by one of the new elite most favorites : Shadow Shroud (try to cap it, especially if you play a mesmer in pvp ;)), prevent enchants on target = healing from mend condition only = dead target the time you try to remove the hex if the opponent isn't too bad at coordinating their spike.

About the build, it was more a grab'n'go and skills that people are used to play with ^^
Lys

Postby Lys » Wed May 24, 2006 4:43 pm

^^;;;;

+1
Last edited by Lys on Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lys

Postby Mori » Wed May 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Triple post ftw? :P

Thanks to all for the match reports though. I must try and get in on the next match, I've been thinking about a new flag runner build after my ranger got so dreadfully pwned by that Crippling Anguish mesmer last time :(
Mori
Organisational god

Return to GvG