Are we ready to get back into regular GvG?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Are we ready to get back into regular GvG?

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:39 am

Some folks have been asking for more GvG matches, and I'd like to know the opinion of more people on this. If most of you feel like we're ready to do it and personally want to, it might be time to start the signup sheets again. :)

Any ideas as to what the best times/days are would be very nice as well.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Elle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:52 am

I'd like to get back into it, and I know Nick is interested in any kind of mass pvp with guildies.

I can't do wednesday evenings due to badminton and pub quiz, and mondays might be intermittent due to badminton also. I don't have any other commitments in the evenings though.
Elle
Get out of my car!

Postby Avalyn » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:38 pm

wednesdays = no go.
Any other day = go go go.
Used and Abused, and finally retired.
Avalyn
If I had a hammer...
If I had a hammer...

Postby khaz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:51 pm

Yes. :)
khaz
As gay as a boxful of monkeys

Postby Varda » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:54 pm

Khaz, you're never around! :p
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:16 am

GO!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Mori » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:35 am

khaz wrote:No. :)

Fixed.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 am

stop fixing khaz and just start with the signup sheets mori! WE WANT SIGNUP SHEETS! if you dont i hereby make a motion that you'd be stripped from the organizational god title!
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Lys » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:01 am

Now that we have a shiny new hall, it's time to enjoy it at its fullest potential! It would be nice if we came back to GvG, with all the lovely nice skills out! What about going into GvG each time we have 6-8 people ready to pvp on the game? (with one or two henchies) Sometimes we have a full roster by hazard so we could give it a go =)
Lys

Postby Rhayader » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:05 am

yeah, we should try it! at least to check out where the npcs go and stuff. its not like we are racing thru the ladder so it doesnt mind if we lose. but it would feel great if we win!! :lol:
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Klokwurk » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Arr, I'm up for it! Though I'd rather win the HoH.
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Mori » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:34 pm

If you're playing at a time when I'm at home, keep trying to persuade me - maybe at some point I'll log in and start to remember how much fun it is :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Yarrrr... GvG, HA, whichever. Give build. Smash stuff. RAWR!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Varda » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Yarrrr... GvG, HA, whichever. Give build. Smash stuff. RAWR!
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Mori » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:33 pm

I would like to get back into practice with some HA before I try GvG again I think.. heh. Boring as it can be to lose constantly :(
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 am

I don't think HA prepares you for GvG at all. Apart from learning some skills and general alertedness, you're not going to grasp any of the GvG mechanics from playing in maps that require a set way of being played to win, or a certain build to accomplish victory.

You can't make a comeback in an altar map, for instance. Once a team caps, if they have the right build, you'll be hard pressed to stop them. If a team manages to control choke-points, you're doomed. HA is very map-based, unlike GvG. There much more liberty there, imo.
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:34 am

well, 2 nights ago we didnt lose constantly. we actually won 50% of the matches.
this is just the hard part, when you need enough practice to reach the 3rd stages and beyond! after we get into the game it will be much easier.
if you dont practice you dont win! therefore you die and be unhappy
so!
practice = happy
dying = unhappy

i dont think HA applies to any kind of GvG training, only if your meaning to train on how to kill stuff, but that can be done in any other kind of pvp mode
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Lys » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 am

HA only prepares you to GvG in the sense that... everything you learn in HA, you have to forget it in GvG ;) As not standing in the middle of the battlefield for a monk but playing in the backline.
GvG offers way more flexibility buildwise and tacticwise. You don't have to take Healing Seed for your Lord =D
If you lose the fight 7vs7 at the flagstand, you still have the opportunity to send a split to deal with the opponent's flagrunner or to take out their npcs. There are A LOT more skirmish situations (which are really fun to play imo ^^). With a weaker build, you can still prevail with better tactics (well, to a certain extent only of course).

HA can even teach you pretty bad reflexes for other types of pvp, like a wrong positionning because of the size of HA maps. I think that all RA, TA and AB give better training for GvG because you're less dependant on your build and you are confronted with more "realistic" situations (like a ranger against an illu mesmer) =)
Lys

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:15 am

Lys wrote:(like a ranger against an illu mesmer) =)

Bah.. don't remind me of THAT little episode!

All I meant was I need to train to remember where my skills are, improve my battlefield awareness, how to kite, etc. since I appear to have forgotten it all!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Varda » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:07 pm

I say we could have something like an hour a day where those who want log in an pvp - everyday, one hour. It's not a very long time to practice, but making it daily should help a lot, as people who can't do it one day might be able to on another, and there'll be rotativity. Of course, this means we'll not have GvG teams, possibly not even HA teams, but if practice is what you want there is always TA or AB's. In terms of practicing things like spikes, or kiting, or even enchant or hex covering (something very important as anyone who has played against pve monsters that strip enchants knows) it might even be the best choice.

One hour is also short enough to keep people from despairing - once the hour is up we cna just go bash some pve baddies, complete some though missions or quests. :)

I wonder how people would react to this idea?
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Rhayader » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:52 pm

i like the idea very much! that way it will keep things fresh, and keep trying new stuff! that way people wont get tired of losing in HA and we might still have enough people for some GvG.
we should find an hour that is most suitable for the majority of the people. besides, in TA or AB it will also give people the oportunity to practice other professions in a more controlled environment as oposed to the crazy HA battles
Rhayader
The silent type

Return to GvG