Time for a new guildhall!

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Time for a new guildhall!

Postby Mori » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:54 pm

Since GW:EN has been out for some time, and our dear ladies now have all the blue they need with our guild cape, and we've had this guildhall since Nightfall came out, I think it's time we swapped our tatty old hall in for a nice shiny new one. Who's with me?!

Suggestions welcome.

- It'd be nice to have a hall that somewhat suited our GvG style (whatever that is).

- I'd personally prefer it not to be one we've had before (as a reminder, the ones we've had have been Isle of Meditation, Wizard's Isle, and the current one is Isle of Solitude).
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Klokwurk » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:32 am

Argh! No changing the GH! :evil:
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:12 am

You wretched sycophant, Erendis put you up to this didn't she?!

Sucking up to women won't make them love you, it'll just make them revel in their power and USE YOU and then CAST YOU ASIDE like the unwanted puppies they like to kick every day with their sexy stiletto heels, before running into the arms of some complete BASTARD who'll do the same to them, because women always fall in love with bastards. Mark my words, you'll regret this!
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Infinity » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 am

I agree that all women are horrible who'll only go out with a man because he's got a bit of cash, even though he's a complete asshole who doesn't appreciate you. I might have a face like a plate full of sick but WHY WONT YOU LOVE ME!?!?11

But yeah, lets change the GH, I never liked this one much anyway.
Lyssophobia - Fear of rabies or of becoming insane
Infinity
Strange and Mysterious

Postby Varda » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:47 am

Awww kiv, but you'e hawt! Shame about the no money thing... <.<

In spite of loving our currently guild hall (say what you will, blue pwns all) I think the time for a change has come. I'll have to revisit all the guild halls to make a few suggestions, and hopefully the master strategist herself will come in here and tell us her opinion on what guild halls better suit our gvg style (unsplittable heroway :( ).
Varda
Yaoi obsessive

Postby Erendis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:28 am

I hate you forever, Mori, but for the good of the guild... I will agree to this heresy.

Also, feel free to refloat the cape issue. I've had my way, now everyone else can too. :P

Thirdly, I didn't put anyone up to anything... consciously, at least. *mind controls random people*
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Good point - I'd forgotten the cape change was meant to be non-permanent. Ellers never logs in any more, so at least we won't have to put up with some kind of purple monstrosity :D
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Rhayader » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm

purple capes ftw!

i wont coment on the women issue, though Mori seems to have nailed it pretty well. i like to think that not all women are alike, though deep down i know its all a lie and that im living in a dream world.

and like anya said, "unsplittable heroway" is definitely our gvg style. so taking that into consideration (and because i like the looks of the GH) wdi would like to suggest the Warriors Isle. it is somewhat similar to the wizards isle, even though its a bit smaller, and its the one GH in wich we allways win! (regardless of oposing teams)

also, due to the maps geography you can easily spot any splits, and react to it without having to split.

the biggest issue with the current guild hall is that its simply too huge! the stand is far away from the base, the center where people usually fight is far from the stand, if there is a split with someone ganking your npcs inside the base you cant even see them if your either in the stand or fighing outside due to the huge size of the guild hall.
during normal play though we only use about 30% of the guild hall and thats simply because the npcs are so spread around.

i dont mind keeping this GH and i dont mind changing. we dont play GvG that much to justify choosing a Guild Hall to serve only that purpose. we've had this GH for quite a long time, and i would enjoy a change though i dont demand it.
Rhayader
The silent type

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Based on my involvement in GvG, can I suggest a GH that has all the merchant NPCs close together... :P
Muppet
Why Our GH Smells of Rich Mahogany

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Warrior's Isle is a classic, but I find the wall textures a bit unappealing. How about Hunter's Isle? The external layout is almost identical to our old Wizard's Isle and not that far off the Warrior's layout, but it has some interesting chicanery going on inside the hall that ought to be fun to play with :)
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:14 am

Hunter's Isle is absolutely dreadful and I'm willing to bite anyone who says otherwise.

Other than that, Imperial, Wizard's, Frozen and ever Warrior's are fine by me (booze-bribes may swindle my vote towards anything else, too!)
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Postby Mori » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:27 am

ok, not Hunter's then :(

I guess if you're putting Wizard's in the running again, there's the possibility of a nostalgia-vote for Meditation too. I'm not personally fond of Frozen but if loads of people go for it I will bow to the popular whim again :)

Imperial I could go for. I always did like it, even though it doesn't quite have that cosy feel I enjoy in a guildhall. According to Lys, guildhall npcs in Frozen Isle are quite spread out, whereas in Imperial they're all concentrated in that little starting area, so there's another thing to consider.
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Klokwurk » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Erendis wrote:Hunter's Isle is absolutely dreadful and I'm willing to bite anyone who says otherwise.

Oooo! *Says otherwise*
Klokwurk
Wielder of the fuzzy dice

Postby Lys » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Just my two eurocents about this : I have no particular preference =D
While I pretty much like our current GH, it's certainly not suited for our almigh... limited and coordinationless heroway playstyle. Too big to spot anything and react on time, backdoor way makes it worse.

If we're taking into consideration our build, we need a map that forces 8vs8 fight thus that prevents splitting OR allows us to play reactively. The most notorious 8vs8 maps are (by order of "no split possibility") :

- Burning Isle : the Queen of spike map, lava to cripple/slow down, sentinels on the backway to hinder severely splitting tactics, ugly as hell (no surprise?). No bodyblocking at flagstand.

- Jade Isle : Changed layout some time ago, now you can split by running from portal to portal but NPCs archers are hard to reach and they snipe any split team trying to sneak in. Corals damage you. No bodyblocking at flagstand.

- Imperial Isle : Straightforward open map, fights usually occur at the center flagstand until one team breakdown and retreat to NPCs that are quite near, need a runner with self heal to run under acid. It's quite easy to counter split as you spot them easily while not making splitting completely impossible. Flagstand can be bodyblocked.

And then you have halls that allow split but to a certain extent only because of thief presence and map being small enough for the defending team to react :

- Wizard's, Warrior's, Hunter's : catapult map, classic map during Prophecies-only era, Wizard's being the best choice by far out of 3. Not much to say, we all know these maps =D

- Isle of the Weeping Stone : Kurzick, mushrooms, gloomy, it has interesting lever, it's a looooong way to split.

- Isle of Mediation : we know this one, because of it's layout, it offers obvious splitting possibilities while making them counterable thanks to the map size.

And then we have the dedicated split halls (by order of "hey if you play teleport sins on this, you will ownzzzzz hard") :

- Frozen Isle : the Queen of tactical play, probably the most fun hall to play on when you have 8 members with good coordination. Good teams can control the map by positioning on the center and forces a 8vs8 fight somehow. Easy to snare runners on ice and bodyblock flagstand.

- Druid Isle : Lots of sneaking around, you can chose to use a vine seed at the start to open a second path to opponent's base. Which means lots of skirmishing/small fights. No bodyblocking at flagstand.

- Corrupted Isle : Two ways that are not linked, one leading directly to opponent's base and the other to flagstand, this one is only suited for strong splitting tactics (usually 5/3). Quite easy to bodyblock the flagstand.

Voilà, if we take aesthetics into account, imperial, meditation, wizard's and frozen are all nice and shiny. Beware though : NPCs location on Frozen is annoying, there are some at the Guild Lord's booth and other ones at the center (lever place), it's quite a walk to run from one to the other.
Imperial has all NPCs in or next to Guild Lord's room, it's a bit similar to our current hall, somewhat smaller.

(another wall of text :cry: )
Lys

Postby Mori » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:06 pm

Thankyou Lys! Since we've already done Meditation and Wizards, it seems like Imperial might be the next place to go.. but I will wait on more feedback before deciding.

Does anyone have a spare celestial sigil hanging around or shall I buy one (they're not too expensive, around 19k atm)?
Mori
Organisational god

Postby Erendis » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:59 am

Klokwurk wrote:
Oooo! *Says otherwise*

*bites Klokwurk's fingers off*

And be glad nothing more sensitive was harmed.
Erendis
Rabid fangirl

Return to GvG